Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1600 for new ECU!! Help Please (2006 16V SXi)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa C 2000-2006] 1600 for new ECU!! Help Please (2006 16V SXi)

First advice is don't use dealers unless no other option

You should be able to pick the parts you need from ebay or a decent scrap yard for cheap and just get a reputable garage to fit

Comment

There are main dealers and there are main dealers. A mate of mine who is a top class mechanic works at a Vauxhall dealership - he usually solves the problems no-one else has a clue about. But there are too many main dealers where the guys are technicians rather than mechanics.

Oil pressure switch leaks on these are very common and they don't usually cause any major problems. I don't see how oil from the front mounted switch has got into the ECU. The codes refer to a problem with the O2 sensor. Either they are clueless and are trying to cover their tracks by quoting a price they know you won't pay, or they're into the game of generating extra revenue. Some dealerships set targets for staff to generate additional income by overstating work that needs doing.

I'd go to a reputable independent who knows these engines. Which O2 sensor was replaced just before Christmas? The codes refer to the one at the top of the manifold. Oil from the switch may have got into the wiring - doesn't usually cause a problem. Or it may be that the sensor is a dud. The running issues match a dud sensor (or faulty wiring to the sensor) because it's a feedback system. If the sensor isn't reading right the ECU is trying to adjust the engine settings on bad information.
      1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

Thanks Taurus

The receipt just says Bosch Lambda Sensor 710720737?

Out of interest, if it is the sensor at fault, would this fail the MOT emissions test?

Comment

The Lambda (O2) sensor monitors the exhaust emissions and tells the ECU to alter the fuel/air mix in order to achieve optimum burn. Originally there was one O2 sensor right at the top end of the exhaust. Later on there are two, the second one being after the catalytic converter which checks that the cat is operating properly.

So if an O2 sensor fails, or it is rendered inoperative through contamination, exhaust leak etc - the ECU will get the fuel/air mix wrong. That will throw emissions out which can lead to an MOT failure.
          1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

Hi I'm having some trouble with my corsa c 52 semi automatic I don't know how to start a new post rats chewed through my engine loom beyond repair so I have had a new one fitted off the exact same year car and also a semi auto but still refuses to start and flashing f I can't get it to a garage help please!

Comment

Originally posted by Xxhelen89xx View Post
              Hi I'm having some trouble with my corsa c 52 semi automatic I don't know how to start a new post rats chewed through my engine loom beyond repair so I have had a new one fitted off the exact same year car and also a semi auto but still refuses to start and flashing f I can't get it to a garage help please!
              Go into the mechanical help section, then top left you'll see a button - 'Start new thread' click on that and you'll be able to start a thread for this issue. But to be honest if it's needed a new loom and it's not working I'd suggest speaking to whoever fitted the loom. There's only so much you can do over the internet. Something like that really needs a hands on look at things.

Comment

Thank you very much

Comment

Hi Torus, I love your remarks re: Mechanics and Technicians - There is a saying that Technicians are Mechanics without a brain!
                  Regards

Comment

Working...
                  X