Ignition Barrel Snapped Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa C 2000-2006] Ignition Barrel Snapped Help

The key number is usually on a small card in the car's information pack - if you've lost that then the only route is to go into a main dealer and ask them if they can provide it from their records. I guess they'll charge you for it though.

If you buy a new barrel with a key, take the chip out of your current key and put it into the new ignition key, then it'll work. You then have one key for the doors (which doesn't need a chip) and a separate key for the ignition. I ran my old Cavalier like that after the barrel seized up.
    1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

Thanks Taurus ! will just get a new Ignition i think cheaper solution and not really bothered about having 2 keys.

Cheers muchly !

CB

Comment

Hello again, i got my new barrell in the post today , ive fitted it , but theres a problem, the car turns over but wont start, also when i take key out and open door the beep sound goes of to say you left your keys in the ignition but i havent, could this be somthing to do with the immobiliser ? incidentally the remote locking stopped working to.

any help once again would be great.

CB

Comment

Have you put the chip from your old key into the new one?

Is the EML flashing when you are cranking?

The fact that the car is sensing the key is still in the ignition when the key is removed suggests the barrel isn't fitting correctly, or that something is sticking. This may also account for the non-starting and the remote locking not working. Make sure the barrel you've got is compatible with your year & model.
          1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

Originally posted by Taurus View Post
            Have you put the chip from your old key into the new one?

Is the EML flashing when you are cranking?

The fact that the car is sensing the key is still in the ignition when the key is removed suggests the barrel isn't fitting correctly, or that something is sticking. This may also account for the non-starting and the remote locking not working. Make sure the barrel you've got is compatible with your year & model.

Thanks for the quick reply, i have fixed the beep sound it was just the central piece of the core was stiff and not popping out. The spanner and car symbol is flashing on and off. i havent swapped the transponders yet but i have held them right next to the barrell. should this be good enough ?

CB

Comment

The flashing EML shows the immobiliser is preventing starting. Try putting the chip into the key and see how it works then.

Comment

Its holding tight in the old key is there a teqnique to getting these things out its liked its jammed in.

CB

Comment

Nope - they usually just slide out. In fact they often fall out, a common problem is people losing them when changing the battery in the key fob.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	key fob.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	110514Could it be possible the previous owner glued it in ? it just wont come out. i have the main key also but its a different shape to the new ones (it has the actual door lock remote on it) i cant see the transponder in that one.

Comment

OK just got it started its defo the immobilser transponder chip i held it close and it started its also possibly glued in so im going to cut it out and put it in new key, is it possible to get a new transponder chip ? i mean i have 2 ogiginals here they could copy ?

Cheers again

CB

Comment

That looks like it's been glued. You can programme keys using Opcom. Some places that do keys can copy one chip to another. Main dealers can but they charge silly money.

Comment

Looks like a Corsa b key to me.

Corsa c chips are usually stuck
                          In place, a wiggle with screwsriver removes them

Comment

Working...
                          X