No announcement yet.

Position of engine overtemperature switch on 1996 Corsa Merit 1.2 5door

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa B 1993-2000] Position of engine overtemperature switch on 1996 Corsa Merit 1.2 5door

Hi Guys,

Would greatly apprec. your help.

Engine temp. reached 102degsC the other day and the fan did not come on. Suspect the over temp switch is faulty. Can anybody tell me where it is? I have a 1996 Corsa 1.2 Merit 5door. And would spares be easily available for a 1996 Corsa.

Many thanks,
    Max222

Comment

Also - they often don't come on until the needle is just touching the red zone so it gives a lot of people a fright. As Vegas says, bridging the wires on the thermoswitch should trigger the fan relay. You can fit a cable across the wires and connect it to a switch on the dashboard which gives you a manual override. I prefer that to trying to remove the thermoswitch from an old radiator as they are usually seized in place and removing them often destroys the rad.

You only need 5amp wire and small switch as it's the relay that handles the electrical load for the fan.

Spares are usually no problem for them.
      1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

Hi,

Many thanks for quick reply. As I used to be a spark, No Prob. Will probably solder on 2 wires then route them to a sw. beneath the dash somewhere.

Thanks again, Max222
        Last edited by Max222; 16-03-2015, 07:24 PM. Reason: Should have ended with my name and an additional thanks cos I really apprec. the help.

Comment

No problem, anymore questions please ask.

Comment

Hi,

Just thought - If I try to remove overtemp switch, would I have to drain the coolant from the radiator [and the rest of the system] beforehand?

Thanks, Max.

Comment

Yes - when you remove the switch it'll leak the coolant anyway. Refilling on those is easier since you crack open the sender for the temp. gauge which is on the inlet manifold to bleed the system. The 16v engines airlock really easily, the 8v engine is much easier to refill.

Just beware of removing the switch because they often seize into the mounting and you can easily break the radiator removing them. You may find a new switch doesn't turn the fan on any quicker anyway - they all leave it until the last minute before activating - which is why most people solve the problem with a manual override.
              1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

Overtemp. sw. on 1996 Corsa 1.2 Merit

Originally posted by Taurus View Post
                Yes - when you remove the switch it'll leak the coolant anyway. Refilling on those is easier since you crack open the sender for the temp. gauge which is on the inlet manifold to bleed the system. The 16v engines airlock really easily, the 8v engine is much easier to refill.

Just beware of removing the switch because they often seize into the mounting and you can easily break the radiator removing them. You may find a new switch doesn't turn the fan on any quicker anyway - they all leave it until the last minute before activating - which is why most people solve the problem with a manual override.
                Thanks again for info. Much apprec.

Max222.

Comment

Working...
                X