Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa D 2006-2014] High Oil Consumption - Noisy Engine

Hi I have no mechanical expertise.

But I used to only do 10 miles a day to and from work most weeks but changed jobs early last year (2014). Since then I do about 25/30 miles a day, So about 150 ish a week with weekends. I'll hold my hands up and say I'm not the best for keeping track and checking the level week to week, but I have to be lately as I seem to be having to fill it up every 3 months.

Runs OK but once it warm its noisy not that you hear over road noise but on idle it sounds like a diesel. Which appeared after I had the timing chain replaced.
    I've set a reminder to check the oil every month now so will monitor it more closely now on, but should I be going through this amount of oil.

Thanks

It would be helpful to know the model, engine, milage and service history - you mention a chain which suggests it's the 1.0, 1.2 or a later 1.4

In general they can use up to 1 litre of oil for 1000 miles, but most don't.

You should really check the oil weekly - it's good practice as if a problem develops you'll spot it sooner.

The noise could be several things, cheap timing chains rattle, the hydraulic lifters can rattle if they are blocked, alternators can make noises on idle, so without being able to inspect the car it's impossible to say. A good way to track down noises is a mechanic's stethoscope - they are cheap and safer to use than a metal bar with your head near moving parts.

When you say you fill it up every 3 months - at 150 miles a week that is 1800 miles in three months. The full to low mark on the dipstick is usually a litre. So a litre every 1800 miles is within tolerances. If you're only topping up a small amount every 3 months on an older engine that's nothing to worry about.

If you're using more than that then check for signs of leaks. Also check for smoke from the exhaust, oil being burnt is usually a white/blue colour. Smoke on revving is usually piston ring/bore wear. A puff of smoke on startup or after idling, that quickly clears, is usually valve stem oil seals.
    1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

Hi Taurus,

I'm not sure what happened but i did reply last night. Anyway It's an 08 Corsa D 1.4 On 78k Miles. Has been VX services up to mid 2013. Admittedly I did skip the last service call as I thought mileage wise it was too close. I topped the Oil up yesterday morning as it was on the bottom marker, Ill monitor weekly too. The timing chain wasn't fitted @ VX but I was assured the parts were genuine and I did see the packet and purchase receipt for the parts..

Comment

How often were the services done up until mid 2013 (how many months and miles between oil changes)
        When was the oil last changed (date & mileage)
        What's the mileage now?

Comment

Originally posted by Hardcore View Post
          How often were the services done up until mid 2013 (how many months and miles between oil changes)
          When was the oil last changed (date & mileage)
          What's the mileage now?
          They were every 7/8k miles yearly intervals I wasn't putting much milage on it until this last year. I don't know exactly the last oil change I guess it would of been when the chain was replaced, which was well over a year ago I can't remember exactly. I have been offered a cheap service from VX which I'm going to take.

Comment

Many cars built in the last decade or so tend to burn more oil since some manufacturers have gone to low tension piston rings in an effort to raise fuel economy. Just the rings themselves doesn't add up to much, but combine that with the other tricks like using lower viscosity motor oils, auto/gearbox/differential fluids, and lower rolling resistance tyres and it adds up, especially when cars get sold in countries where there are fleet fuel economy requirements.

Anyway, if the engine still passes the emissions test and it isn't blowing out blue smoke all the time, I would just buy 5L of cheap 10w40 and top up as needed in between services. Burning oil itself doesn't have any impact on engine longevity. In the US, a now-defunct subsidiary of GM named Saturn used to build Astra-sized cars with 110bhp 1.9L petrol engines that had very poor piston/oil control ring design, and it wasn't unusual for the rings to gum up badly enough to cause engines to need an entire bottle of oil added every time the owner stopped for petrol. Despite this flaw, these engines developed a reputation for their ability to run nearly forever - there are many of these cars from the mid/late 90s that are still running with a quarter million miles and a few have made it over 400,000 miles without an engine overhaul.

Comment

Many many moons ago - when I was at school working evenings and weekends in a local garage - one of our mechanics used to say it was better for an engine to use a bit of oil. The reason being that it meant it was always getting some fresh oil with fresh detergents. The bit above re. the Saturn engines only goes to show how frequent fresh oil makes an engine last for a very long time.
              1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

At least when oil is being burnt, you know that the bores/pistons/rings are being lubricated!

I'm not sure that I care for the above advice to, 'buy some cheap 10w40 oil' - the thing about oil is that the SPECIFICATION is just as important as the viscosity BUT, if by 'cheap' it means semi-synthetic as opposed to fully synthetic oil, then I would go along with that.

Regards

Comment

Working...
                X