Fiesta Over-revving?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Non Corsa] Fiesta Over-revving?

It's not entirely clear what's actually happening. You say the clutch isn't sticking - yet the problem is like the clutch pedal being pressed down - ie fully disengaged. But on any car with the throttle at between 50% and floored you'd get the engine revving even in gear.

So it is overrevving when in drive - ie uncontrolled acceleration? Or - when you floor the throttle is the engine revving but no additional accelaration?

If the former then my first check would be the electronic throttle control. If the latter I'd check the clutch isn't slipping.

Or maybe it isn't that obvious.
    1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

Thanks Taurus, sorry for the confusing description. I'll try and get a video to show/explain better, but essentially whilst driving along at any speed pressing the accelerator down has exactly the same effect as if you'd pressed the clutch down at the same time.

Comment

If there is an 'unusual' smell when this happens, the revs go up, but the roadspeed doesn't, then it's almost certain to be the clutch that is slipping.

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
          Thanks Taurus, sorry for the confusing description. I'll try and get a video to show/explain better, but essentially whilst driving along at any speed pressing the accelerator down has exactly the same effect as if you'd pressed the clutch down at the same time.
          Sounds like the clutch is slipping. If the engine rpm increases but the speed remains the same then the clutch is just beginning to slip. It'll drive fine if driven gently, but as soon as you give it some welly it'll go.

Apply the handbrake firmly, stick it in gear, set the revs to about 1500, then slowly release the clutch. Keep your foot on the throttle steady and just allow the clutch to take up the load. You can feel the clutch take up the bite - it's just a case of checking whether it's got enough bite to stall the engine or whether it will slip in which case the engine will keep running.

A clutch that's just beginning to go will obviously have more bite than one that's totally shot - but you'll soon get a feel for whether the clutch is worn or not.
          1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

Comment

Working...
            X