c20xe Air Conditioning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa B 1993-2000] c20xe Air Conditioning

As some of you are aware my Corsa (Project MOK) is somewhat of a rarity in the sense that it has a sunroof and air conditioning which, as far as I am aware, would have been a dealer option when bought as new.

The ongoing plan is to build MOK into a c20xe powered, OEM+ Corsa and as part of this I'd like to retain the air conditioning due to the rarity of the aircon/sunroof combination.

The common approach to c20xe transplants involves removing the aircon compressor from the block prior to installation. This, obviously, results in the aircon being non-functioning and leaves the pipework and centre console controls redundant. Certain components of the existing aircon system are easily removed but are time-consuming or fiddly to do.

I've searched for methods in keeping aircon with a c20xe block and found nothing other than this youtube video which claims to show a c20xe Corsa with aircon, cruise control and other non-standard features. Other people have enquired about the Corsa on the video comments but no information has been forthcoming from the original poster.

I'm hoping that the combined knowledge of this forum can perhaps come up with a solution, or a viable approach, to retaining MOK's aircon feature with a c20xe block. As part of the transplant MOK will be receiving an EPAS steering setup instead of the existing hydraulic powersteering setup so my initial thought is that there may be a way to mount an aircon compressor, either from the c20xe or x16xe, in place of the c20xe powersteering pump to charge MOK's existing aircon system. Of course, at present, this is just a theory but does anyone have any thoughts on the potential of this approach?

I'm taking it as gospel that the youtube video is proof there is a method to retain the aircon with a c20xe so lets get a discussion going on how it may be possible.

I'd get rid of it.

Yes it's rare, but nobody other than you is going to notice.

Comment

Originally posted by Vegas View Post
      I'd get rid of it.

Yes it's rare, but nobody other than you is going to notice.
      Maybe so but as a bit of a forum exercise I'd be interested in seeing how possible, especially given the video's claims, retaining the aircon with a c20xe could be

Comment

you could make up some adapter plate to bolt to the block where original power steering pump was if your going for the eps setup to hold the aircon pump on im sure if you had a pump for the aircon making a adapter plate for it to sit on wouldn't be too hard.. then its a matter of making pipes work or getting some fittings to help fitting the pipework up if you need to use a different aircon pump

Comment

There is one on youtube with a supercharger mounted above the alternator. I think it might be driven by doubling up the alternator pulley and running an extra belt direct from that but it may be a bit more complex.If you have enough space free it could work for an aircon compressor.Its slap bang where the air intake and Maf is normally located but its worth a thought. Could you free up the space by routing the air intake from the right side of the engine instead of the left?
          I dont know how to do you tube links but if you search 'opel corsa c20xe project' it should be first on the list. Uploaded by corsa-nova tuning.Project overview 2008-2010.

I have no knowledge of the engine so these are just wild ideas that are quite likely impossible.. Would it be possible to mount the compressor to the right of the engine where there seems to be more room and drive it from the'wrong' end of one of the camshafts? I have seen photos of this engine with the ignition 'distributor' on the other cam. Any way of connecting up to this? Thinking more out of the box. If there is not enough room to mount it in place of the steering pump might it be possible to mount it remotely by fitting a shaft on bearings,with the belt driven pulley at one end ,and the compressor at the other. The compressor location could even be the other side of the car,and crossing either in front of the engine or behind. It would need to be well engineered,and ideally utilising an electric clutch at the pulley end rather than the compressor end. Or could it be driven remotely using a hydraulic motor. probably too inefficient. Tight fit innit?You'll have your work cut out.
          Last edited by Bugman; 21-01-2015, 07:38 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X