Project MOK - Engine Whine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa B 1993-2000] Project MOK - Engine Whine

Hi all, I've just noticed tonight that MOK (1.6 16v) has developed a whine from the engine when accelerating. I've eliminated the gearbox as the problem as it still occurs when stationary and revs are built up; from the sounds of it the noise is coming from the timing belt.

Any information on what the most common causes of this could be around that area?

I've no idea when the belt was last changed so I'm assuming a garage trip is in order (not my area of expertise timing cars by miles!) but having a clue as to what it may be would put me at ease prior to New Year!

Many thanks in advance!

Probably a roller or tensioner or maybe water pump are you sure it's not just the auxiliary belt

Comment

Not alternator bearings. It had a belt done about 10k before I had it with headgasket. I assume waterpump and tensioner were changed but not 100%

Comment

What's the easiest way of checking the auxiliary belt?

Comment

Either remove and run engine or lube it which will temporary stop it

Comment

Put some talc on the aux belt to make sure it's not that slipping a bit. They tend to screech rather than whine when they slip, but we can only go off how you describe the sound. You get it more in cold weather because the load on the alternator is higher.

If it is the timing belt itself be careful - they whine if they are too tight, and then they snap.
            1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

Couple of quick videos demonstrating the engine whine below; hope they work as I'm doing this post through Tapatalk...

Its been suggested that the noise may be the cam cover as its a common issue with these engines; thoughts on this?

Cheers for looking!

Comment

AHHH!! I remember that noise now!!

Always thought was alternator, only happened through the winter, and completely forgot about it tbh.

Comment

Might have even made a thread at some point. It just went one day. Seems to be triggered by the cold haha! Iirc it goes when car is warm too

Comment

Hmm, might tighten up the can cover and see if that cures it then. If not I'll just keep an eye on it for the time being.

Comment

Doubt it's anything to do with the cam
                      Cover.

Try what has been suggested above, think I may have even sprayed some lubricant into alternator. Had few cars since then, hard to remember

Comment

If it's like Vegas says and only does it when it's cold then it could be an alternator noise. I had one that made a horrendous noise on cold mornings, ran it like that for years and told the guy I sold it to about it. He ran it like that for another 30-40k before the car fell to bits.

Use a big screwdriver, or a stethoscope to check.
                        1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

Started MOK earlier today and the noise is gone... I didn't do a thing either so I'm going to chalk it up as a character quirk.

Happy New Year all!

Comment

The weather is just a few degrees warmer today - which may be why the noise has gone. See what happens next time the temperature drops.

Comment

Working...
                            X