No announcement yet.

Gearshifts heavier and *thump* sound with every shift because of it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa C 2000-2006] Gearshifts heavier and *thump* sound with every shift because of it

Corsa 1.0 from 2005, 12v gasoline engine

Since the few past weeks shifting the gears appears to get heavier, i.e. the gearshifts arent as fluent as it usually was but with every gearshift there's a moment of resistance and which also adds a sound ("thump!").

It doesnt seem to be a clutch problem or a transmission/gearbox problem, clutching runs smooth as always and there arent any additional sounds nor does the engine produce extra rotations/min. Shifting gears stays exactly the same when the car is not running, the resistance and the sound doesnt change a bit nor does it change when the engine is cold or warm, its totally consistant.

The additional sound as well as the resistance during the gearshifts seem to come directly from the gearmechanism (very) close to the gearknob, and thus to me it seems to be soms shortage of grease somewhere.

My question in this is, if someone has the same experience with his/her Corsa C (its a 1.0 from 2005, 12v gasoline engine) and what to do about it, perhaps even more so if someone has the technical drawings that shows the gearmechanism directly from the gearknob down to the transmission as I would love to be able to add some grease to it myself.

Well, hope someone has some answers here en all will forgive me my (perhaps) not all so good English as its not my native language.

Regards, Ray

Very common problem on that model - the gear selector mechanism wears on them. It's a bit fiddly, but the parts are cheap and easy enough to replace.

Don't bother trying to grease it, the parts that wear are plastic. Just buy a good quality replacement from somewhere like Vauxhall World Parts.
    1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

Originally posted by Taurus View Post
      Very common problem on that model - the gear selector mechanism wears on them. It's a bit fiddly, but the parts are cheap and easy enough to replace.

Don't bother trying to grease it, the parts that wear are plastic. Just buy a good quality replacement from somewhere like Vauxhall World Parts.
      Thanks for the useful tips

Regards, Ray

Comment

Working...
      X