Brake Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa B 1993-2000] Brake Issue

Had my front break pads replaced and handbrake tightened a few weeks ago but in the last week I've been getting an issue with my breaks.

After driving for around 15 minutes the breaks are less responsive and require more foot movement to stop the car. Near to the point of my feet touching the floor.

If I turn the engine off I can pump the pedal to stiffen the breaks again and they're fine. I've checked the break fluid and there is plenty.

Whats gone wrong?

Two things to check - air in the system and the operation of the servo.

The system is hydraulic and works on the principle that fluid can't be compressed. But if you get air in the system (which can happen with old fluid or by accident when replacing pads) then air can be compressed so you lose brake efficiency. When you pump the pedal you're compressing the air momentarily which restores brake pressure for a short period. The solution is bleed the system. Ideally brake fluid should be replaced every few years to make sure old fluid doesn't get contaminated with water which then causes corrosion and also causes air in the pipes.

Pressure bleeding the system is a simple and effective way of purging the system of air and replacing all the brake fluid. A garage can usually do this job very quickly so it isn't expensive. The only snag you usually hit is the bleed nipples being seized up.

The other thing to check is the operation of the servo. With the engine off pump the pedal to exhaust the vacuum, you'll feel the pedal go hard after a few pumps. The keep your foot on the pedal and press it firmly, keeping pressure on the brake pedal start the engine. You should feel the pedal dip slightly as the servo re-establishes vacuum.
    1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

Cheers I'll give it a try.

Comment

If they have not replaced the pads right and just pushed the piston in the calipers right you can flip the seals in the master cylinder I came across this a good few times on the Corsa and tigra when I worked for vauxhall the only fix was to replace the master cylinder

Comment

Originally posted by Coupe77 View Post
          If they have not replaced the pads right and just pushed the piston in the calipers right you can flip the seals in the master cylinder I came across this a good few times on the Corsa and tigra when I worked for vauxhall the only fix was to replace the master cylinder
          i actually did this on an astra f put new pads on front pushed pistons back in ever so slowly but i did have brake reservoir cap off to allow for fluid been pushed back from front brakes.

I flipped the seal and brakes felt all weird lad told me to take front pads out replace old ones and stamp on brake pedal if your lucky it flips the seal back around then disconnect brake lines from caliper push the pistons back fit new pads and bleed up front brakes worked for me i was lucky

Comment

You can just undo the bleed nipple that way you don't need to bleed them

Comment

Well the mechanic took it onto the ramp and said the handbrake wire was getting caught on the brakes, or something along those lines. Thats why my handbrake had become very loose as well.

He just said give it a week and go back for the handbrake to be tightened again. Brakes seem ok for now.

Comment

They tightened your handbrake and now they're saying the cable is loose enough to foul with another part of the braking mechanism?

And then says leave it a week before fixing it?

Maybe you've misunderstood what he said, because that doesn't make sense. The original post doesn't say that the handbrake had come loose again, only that the hydraulic system wasn't working. The handbrake is a cable, the footbrakes are hydraulic - one shouldn't interfere with the other.
                1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

The handbrake had come abit looser while there was the break issue but didnt think they were related. He wanted it back after a week just to check the handbrake hadn't come loose again, which it hasn't so far.

He def said that the cable was caught. When he took it on the ramp he said one of the back wheels was stiff even with the handbrake off?

Comment

Working...
                  X