No announcement yet.

SW Shake and hard rear end.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Non Corsa] SW Shake and hard rear end.

Hi could do with some advise as may get expensive to buy parts guessing.

Vectra starting to show its age or all the recent changes make it feel odd.

Recent work.

= Tie rods and ends.
    = Rear alloys on front.
    = New front tyres.
    = Brakes 6month old.
    = Front drop links 6month old.
    = 4wheel allignment no camber issue was present on tracking.

The steering wheel still shakes at 70 and shakes more when braking. This gets even worse the faster above 70 i go and braking the same. Not sure where to go with this.

Rear tyres had bald inside edge wear on passenger side rear. Drivers not so bad. The above work was done and now old fronts which are budget but legal but had even wear are on back.

Now it feels hard over bumps and car makes a loud noise. It doesn't feel as hard as it is loud but i am in front.

A mate who works on cars pulled on rear wheels and seems banana arms have gone.

My questions are.

If i banana arms and rear drop links. Is this a likely cause of loud rear end over speedbumps and even cracks in tarmac?

or should i be looking elsewhere? Passenger side with worse camber wear has a non gm shock (gas a adjust) and drivers is gm oem.

Bouncing on car they dont bang or wobble after...but is it possible they are working but not very well?

Also steering wheel shake....what else can that be? Drive shafts?
    Last edited by Aaron; 11-10-2014, 08:24 PM.
    Vauxhall Vectra 1.9 CDTi SRi - New Car
    Black 1.2 Corsa SXI Project - Sold
    Aruba Blue 1.0 Corsa Project - Sold

Recent house move meant having lots of heavy stuff in back...maybe i broke something but arch gap is same in wheel arch.

Comment

Tried to respond to your PM but the site is so slow this evening. Keeps failing to post the reply, so I'll copy it here.

The weakness on both the Vectra B & C is the rear rose bushes, which is what your mate is calling the banana arms (it's the bushes in the arms that have worn). The bushes can be tricky to press in which is why on the C most people replace the whole arm with new bushes pre-installed.

Once done with OEM parts they'll last about 60k. Buy cheap aftermarket and they can go within 15k.

You'll get noise at the rear end, vibration and less than perfect handling (not that they handle that well to begin with tbh.)

But for the cost of the job, which is fairly simple, it's worth doing.
      1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

Thanks.

I think it is upper control arms he means and I got a set to go.

Ecp list's whope other item for rose bush.

Ill do bananas and links and if still bad try other things.

As for SW shake im out of idea's at front end.

Car stinks now too as need flexi I think and glowplugs.

Comment

The bent shaped upper arms have two bushes in them, those are the rose bushes. ECP are a company I avoid since you never know the origin and quality of their parts.
          1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

I use ECP just for finding parts and price checking.

Ive bought cheap banana arms and rear drop links for now. Hope i dont need rear shocks too tbh.
            Last edited by Aaron; 12-10-2014, 07:07 AM.

Comment

Since this its had 2 new tyres rear drop links rear banaana arms and rear shocks.

Its all good but knocks at front now and then but think itd drop links but its knocked when braking a couple times.

Trying to work out why SW shakes a bit at 70.

Comment

The shake at the front - the obvious is tyre balance, some cheap brand tyres don't balance well. After that you're looking at checking the whole front suspension / steering for signs of wear. The knock you sometimes hear suggests something is worn and has got play in it. The drop links are made from chocolate on them but their usual issue is that they give a slight rattle over uneven surfaces when they have worn out.

Comment

I've changed wheels ans tyres at front and tie rods and ends and tracking.

Still does it. Knock is rare tbh but unsure what it is, maybe drive shafts or suspension arms?

Quite stuck at this point with it.

Has knocked once in last 450miles

Comment

2 new tyres (all 4) and rebalance reiterating to do them as perfect as they can and sw shake is gone.

Only vibration that follows body now.

Comment

Working...
                    X