Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa D 2006-2014] Corsa 1.4 SXI tick please help

Hi,

I am new to this forum and I couldn’t seem to find this topic before. I am looking to buy a corsa 2014 1.4 SXI it has 60,000 miles on it. The guy who I am buying it from hasn’t driven it for a few months and the battery was totally dead we had to jump start it. He did say it’s not been serviced and does need doing.

when I started the car it does make a bit of a noise on start up, like a metal scratching noise but then stops. When the engine was running it was ticking but it seemed to get louder as the engine got warmer. I have uploaded a video, if someone can give me advice on what they think it could be.

any help would be greatly appreciated as I am due to buy it tomorrow
    video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload

Hi Welcome to the forum. The ticking noise could be the hydraulic lifters or the chain. Both would make this noise if starved of oil . Possibly because it's been laid up for a while. A good oil and filter change could make it quieter.

Comment

Originally posted by Restorer View Post
      Hi Welcome to the forum. The ticking noise could be the hydraulic lifters or the chain. Both would make this noise if starved of oil . Possibly because it's been laid up for a while. A good oil and filter change could make it quieter.
      Thank you for your reply.

He did say he owned it for 2 years and never serviced it, and i did check the oil level and it was on the lower side. Do you know how much those would cost to replace approximately if I went and bought it? I’m getting the car at a good price but want to have an idea how much more it could potentially cost

Comment

New timing chain fitted will be roughly about £550 in a Garage. Obviously if you had the hydraulic lifters replaced as well, this would be more. The hydraulic lifters about £10 each and there is 16 of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Restorer View Post
          New timing chain fitted will be roughly about £550 in a Garage. Obviously if you had the hydraulic lifters replaced as well, this would be more. The hydraulic lifters about £10 each and there is 16 of them.
          Sorry last question, I’m not very good when it comes to mechanics.

would you say the car is ok to buy with that sound? It is a good price, and in order you think a good service should reduce the noise? Do you think I can then just drive it? As I wouldn’t know how or when the timing chain would need replacing

Comment

I for one wouldnt want to offer advice that might cost you hundreds if things go wrong. . Its basically a gamble. You might be lucky and the car runs much better after an oil and filter change and you will have got a bargain. But it needs to be so much cheaper that in the worst case scenario it covers the cost of any repairs required.

Watch this video, which shows how a 1.4 engine sounds before and after the cam chain has been changed.

If the car sounds like the 'before' then its probably best to to budget on changing the cam chain sooner rather than later. As Restorer says this could be the wrong side of £500. You also need to beware of the job being done using cheap after-market chain kits which rarely last very long. Insist on good quality OE quality parts.

As for knowing when the chain needs replacing this is really a matter of the extent of noise .( Corsa engines are not the quietest on the market at the best of times,). It really needs an experienced mechanic to have a listen (not by video) and hope his opinion is not unduly biased by the prospect of doing the work.

If your budget doesnt run to getting the chain done if required you might be pushing your luck if you leave it too long There is an increased risk the chain will jump its sprockets. With an interference engine like this valves might collide with pistons causing extensive and expensive engine damage.

Checking the oil on the dip stick is worth doing but you are looking for the condition of the oil, not just its level . If the level is below minimum (or even not showing) then its best to walk away as its been neglected and engine wear more likely. Beware also if its thick and tarry or feels gritty when rubbed between the fingers (health and safety warning here. Best to wear protective thin rubber gloves) .

But oil that has obviously seen some use, and above minimum is in some ways a good sign. What you see is what you get. You dont know if an engine full of new oil might have been showing all the bad signs of past neglect right up until the moment the seller changed the oil to impress (or deceive) buyers.

I prefer to see reasonable levels of dirt and use ,rather than a newly steam cleaned engine bay etc that could be hiding a multitude of sins, oil leaks etc.

Check also for signs of water in the oil which will show as emulsified white mayonnaise. If so walk away. Its also a good idea to check for this in the oil filler cap. A little bit here is not unusual, as its caused by water vapour when the engine is cold, but if its excessive it might mean coolant is leaking in requiring expensive repairs.

If you do buy the car have an oil and filter change using decent quality oil .Its important to use a good quality oil filter. Cheap after market ones can disintegrate, clogging the engine oilways. The new oil might flush out accumulated crud from the engine so its best to change the oil and filter yet again fairly soon, rather than wait for the normal oil and filter change intervals. Many mechanics believe the manufacturers intervals are too long anyway.

Car batteries deteriorate if left completely dead for any length of time. You might also need to budget for a new battery. If a car has been sitting for months check also that the front brakes are not excessively rusty .Light rusting on the discs (rotors) is to be expected and should wear off quickly as the brakes are used but if its excessive the discs and pads might need replacing and the calipers may need servicing. . (Both my corsa and yaris sometimes sit for long periods.Both needed new discs and pads at about 60K miles . I dont know what a garage would charge for parts and labour. . I did them myself. I used OE quality Brembo parts,currently about £70 for 2x discs and a set of pads. A garage might use cheaper brands but charge more for the parts

Let us know how you get on
            Last edited by Bugman; 19-09-2021, 02:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X