Replace head gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replace head gasket

Hi all - I'm a new boy on here. My sons Corsa has blown a head gasket. I'm part way through doing this but have got stuck with the following problem. Following the Haynes manual, I need to remove the engine mounting support bracket. I have removed the engine mounting and the engine is supported under the sump. But then I need to remove the support bracket that is bolted to the engine. It is held on by 3 bolts which I have unscrewed but I can't remove the bolts or the bracket. There is not enough room between the bracket and the inner wing to pull the bolts out. Any idea how I get this bracket off?

Cheers, Phil

Hi Welcome to the forum. You will need to remove the bolt in the middle engine gearbox mount underneath. We call it a dog bone because of the shape of it . Just the one bolted to the gearbox. When its removed you've got more movement up and down and able to pull the engine forward. To remove the lower bolt on the engine mounting by the inner wing ,lower the engine right down until you can just get the bolt out pass the chassis leg . Next higher the engine right up and slightly forward to remove the top left bolt . Then hopefully you've removed the water pump pulley. With the the engine right up and pulled to the front the top right bolt will just come out . Be careful when pulling the engine you don't pull it off the block of wood the engine is being supported with.

Comment

Thanks very much for the answer. I will give that a go when the snow melts! Working on the drive is never great in January.

Comment

OMG . I remember those days working on the drive in the snow . Back in the eighties changing a clutch on a capri for a mate

Comment

Now working on the Exhaust manifold/ catalytic converter. |I have removed the 6 nuts/studs that are visible. A lot of fun that was! Very rusted in. I assume there are 3 more in the 'holes' through the catalytic converter? Are these 10mm like the others? Assume I need a long reach socket? Also removed the 3 nuts at flange joint. Hope these 3 are not rusted as you can't get at them with an irwin remover tool.

Comment

Yep there's 3 10mm nuts hidden down in the bottom of the tubes ,generally they are not rushed because of where they are situated in the tubes . Just make sure you use a six sided long extension socket, not 12 sided as they will just round off .

Comment

Both manifolds are off. Now for the timing chain cover. Any tips in getting the crank pulley bolt out? I have had one attempt using a socket and breaker bar but the socket came off and rounded the bolt slightly so a bit nervous about having another go in case I make it worse. Is it an E18 socket? Just checking.

Comment

Originally posted by Tanz View Post
                Both manifolds are off. Now for the timing chain cover. Any tips in getting the crank pulley bolt out? I have had one attempt using a socket and breaker bar but the socket came off and rounded the bolt slightly so a bit nervous about having another go in case I make it worse. Is it an E18 socket? Just checking.
                Don't worry - the crank bolt is out. Used a long extension via the wheel arch and it came off. Need a new bolt.

Comment

Its definitely E18 socket. The best and easiest way is with a impact gun . Maybe you could hire one ,make sure it's a 24 volts one . It's a bit late now but I always undo the crankshaft pulley nut first with the engine on its mountings .with the engine now wobbling around . I say the impact gun is your best option .

Comment

Some of the timing chain kits come with a new bolt .

Comment

]"]ImageShack - {pmflvdvWj][/url]

Comment

Sorry, the above picture came out twice some how. Can't see a replacement bolt for the crank but there are 3 bolts. Not sure what these are for. Will have to compare to what I have removed. The 'plugs' look like sump and crank locking hole.

Comment

Yep no crankshaft pulley bolt there . Use the two black bolt for holding on the sprockets to the ends of the camshaft . The sliver one is for an earlier year with the spacer washer. Make sure you have the timing kit, ie 5mm plate that fits in the other ends of the camshafts and the plunger pin in the side of the engine block . It helps hold it all in place when you got to tighten the two bolts holding the sprockets on . Just Inside the head you will see a hexagon on the camshafts 21mm this is where you've got to hold the camshafts to tighten the bolts. I think its 50nm then 60 degrees, pretty tight

Comment

I have the kit to keep everything in line. The VVT solenoids have seals but there is not a replacement seal in the kit. Is it important to replace these? Rain has stopped play today.

Click image for larger version

Name:	y4m0CmnhCXMmmOc3ZNFY9XEEa-10iumFzh4S0I46vGQ9n-yeEjUGqZfuSfEoTAaqZuLBPKasMb_x4hq5hewt6dK8J9zIAdwT1LCTQJP0b1AxjkpMB9Fb7ya4-WSO7KAg1MoxPrJiV-uvXmOVLUmUfghirRWwde3I2v-bDVBQTM-NHTfHdlCs6el-_TbVayaHA6g?width=3456&height=2592&cropmode=none.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	180.6 KB
ID:	125884

Comment

Yeah that's the kit 👍. No it's not important to change the seals, I've never seen them leak from there 🤞

Comment

Working...
                              X