Ecu reprogram?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa D 2006-2014] Ecu reprogram?

Hi all. I believe I have a problem with my ECU.
    Recently the car has been loud, as if I have put a cone filter on it, but no changes have been made to the car. Running really rough and burning fuel like there's no tomorrow. Already checked and there's no signs of leaks. After letting my mechanic look at it, it isn't throwing any fault codes but check engine light comes on occasionally.
    Hits about 3500 RPM and refuses to accelerate in any gear after that, takes about 2 minutes to get from 40-60 on motorways etc.
    I took the ECU out to inspect physical condition and it looks great, no sign of corrosion or water ingress and better than nearly all the second hand ones I have seen. I have ordered a new ECU but will need reprogramming. Just wondering if my ECU has killed its software and needs resetting rather than replacing?
    We are going to assume here that I have zero tools to go about this, and have no codes or pins for either ECU, all I have currently is the numbers printed on the ECU
    Anybody be able to basically give me an idea of where to get started, or just chuck it to my mechanic and let him deal with it?
    Where can I get the codes and what tools/ software would I need to do it myself?
    Car is 2013 1.4 Petrol SE 5 door
    5 Speed manual
    ECU numbers are E83 55590556 86ABH054231900TK this is the same for the replacement
    Huge thanks in advance!

Hi Welcome to the forum

Firstly I must say my knowledge of ECU's,fault codes and code readers is limited. I think there are some faults that dont necessarily register as a code , and also Vauxhall cars do not respond well to some brands of universal code readers. Either not working at all , or might not read every code that is actually recorded by the ecu. (which is worse than not working at all)

But my gut feeling is you may have blamed the ECU a bit too soon. There are other, mechanical , things that should be checked first. Has the car had a FULL service including new spark plugs recently? (budget servicing often only changes the oil and oil filter) You say the car is noisy like a cone filter has been fitted. Are you saying its the intake noise thats different, rather than say a blown exhaust.

You have checked for leaks but have you checked for blockages? Start with the airfilter. If its not been changed very recently fit a new one.(or if it looks dirty change it anyway,even if the garage claimed it was changed at the last service) Check also the air intake pipe into the filter has not been blocked by a foreign object . It could have sucked in an airborn plastic bag.Stranger things have happened (such as mice building a nest in the pipe) . If your car has an airflow sensor just after the filter make sure this hasnt been put on backwards (ie the airflow is in the wrong direction)
    Check the throttle body is not dirty. Check the EGR valve (exhaust gas recirculating valve, is not blocked or clogged with carbon etc. It would take to long to explain how to do this here (especially by me) You can look up on line how to check and clean these. I cant say whether these may be the cause, or whether they would necessarily show up a fault code, but they are certainly worth checking before going to the extent of replacing the ecu. Others such as Restorer or Walksall might be able to advise better

Comment

Yes very strange that you have no fault codes logged.
      as you say the EML came on . As Bugman has said some fault code readers won't fully talk to a Vauxhall. Just the basics. You would need to find someone with Op-Com scan tool to fully read the ECU'S and pending fault codes. I also think it's not the ECU and something to do with the inlet or the EGR SYSTEM valve. On the subject of changing the ECU you will need Op-Com to remove your original ECU and add the new ECU which isn't a simple job and you will need both security codes from your car and the doner ECU. if you get it wrong you could end up with a non running car. It's good that the ECU numbers match but it's not just the case of plug and play .
      let us know how you get on.

Comment

Working...
      X