No announcement yet.

Swirl Flap Rattle..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa D 2006-2014] Swirl Flap Rattle..

Hi and thanks for letting me jpin the forum.
    I have a 2013 1.0 eco (yeah,the 3 cylinder one) and the swirl flap/flaps are rattling like mad when idle. If I disconnect the solenoid arm and push the rod over to the left the noise stops - can I leave it in this position or are their any serious implications?
    I know they are a rattle box at the best of times but I've just had to change the timing chain on it at 35,000 miles and I am loathed to spend anything else on it as I will be looking to trade it in (with the fault still there).

Hi welcome to the forum

Disconnecting them might give their own specific fault code (p2008 ) on some cars but maybe not on the corsa. . Their function is to improve the air/fuel mixture by 'swirling' the intake at lower engine revs, thereby improving burning and lowering emissions. Even if the P2008 code doesnt activate directly its possible this lowering of overall efficiency might indirectly activate other emission sensors elsewhere in the system such as the lambda sensor in the exhaust system. It may not happen immediately but you could be inviting unwanted engine management fault codes and problems. Its possible the ECU will compensate for the change by altering other engine managment settings rather than activating a fault code , but this may be at the expense of power or fuel economy.

Last but not least it could fail the MOT if its disconnected, so if you do run it like that dont forget to refit it for the MOT. It could fail if the tester notices an emissions measure has been disconnected ,or simply because the car might now fail the exhaust gas analysis .

I believe the official,main dealer fix using GM parts requires the replacement of the whole manifold and costs silly money. It might be possible to improve things with lubrication, replacment o rings or such like, (or at your own risk, a little bit of silicon rubber injected into a loose and rattling hinge might dampen the noise for a while but you must ensure the flaps can still move easily enough to function properly.) .But sorry if there is a proven fix of this nature I dont know it.

I have never worked on one, Is the rattling entirely due to the flaps ,erm, flapping, at their hinges, or does the push rod contribute? Does the rattling reduce if you hold the rod steady with your hand , without disconnecting ,or moving it to the left?. If it does there might be a way of dampening its vibration with rubber bands or something , while still allowing it to function.
    Last edited by Bugman; 20-07-2020, 06:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bugman View Post
      Hi welcome to the forum

Disconnecting them might give their own specific fault code (p2008 ) on some cars but maybe not on the corsa. . Their function is to improve the air/fuel mixture by 'swirling' the intake at lower engine revs, thereby improving burning and lowering emissions. Even if the P2008 code doesnt activate directly its possible this lowering of overall efficiency might indirectly activate other emission sensors elsewhere in the system such as the lambda sensor in the exhaust system. It may not happen immediately but you could be inviting unwanted engine management fault codes and problems. Its possible the ECU will compensate for the change by altering other engine managment settings rather than activating a fault code , but this may be at the expense of power or fuel economy.

Last but not least it could fail the MOT if its disconnected, so if you do run it like that dont forget to refit it for the MOT. It could fail if the tester notices an emissions measure has been disconnected ,or simply because the car might now fail the exhaust gas analysis .

I believe the official,main dealer fix using GM parts requires the replacement of the whole manifold and costs silly money. It might be possible to improve things with lubrication, replacment o rings or such like, (or at your own risk, a little bit of silicon rubber injected into a loose and rattling hinge might dampen the noise for a while but you must ensure the flaps can still move easily enough to function properly.) .But sorry if there is a proven fix of this nature I dont know it.

I have never worked on one, Is the rattling entirely due to the flaps ,erm, flapping, at their hinges, or does the push rod contribute? Does the rattling reduce if you hold the rod steady with your hand , without disconnecting ,or moving it to the left?. If it does there might be a way of dampening its vibration with rubber bands or something , while still allowing it to function.
      Thanks for getting back to me...I'll try and see if holding the arm dampens it but I'm pretty sure it only clears when you push the rod to the left - I'm suspecting that although there's no engine management light coming up that the flaps beng closed is causing the "car" (I call it that through gritted teeth!) to idle rough and chug on lowe end revs - it sails up through the gears and pulls well up to 70MPH...eventually!!

Comment

Firstly I am having second thoughts about attempting to silence the rattle using silicon etc. Probably not a good idea to even try , except maybe on a car so near its end of life you have nothing to lose.

Can you clarify what you mean by the flaps being closed? Normally at idle ,and low revs the flaps should be causing their maximum disruption to the airflow , ie they are partly blocking the airflow. I'd call this 'closed' Then at higher revs they move so they are in line with the airflow causing the least possible obstruction for better performance at higher speeds. I'd call this 'open -like with a throttle butterfly valve.

If they blocking the airflow at idle and low revs this shouldnt affect performance. ( Unless the flaps are blocking the airflow more than they should , eg because they are clogged with dirt) They are doing what they were designed to do.

Its possible there is another cause for your poor low end performance. If the engine is running lumpy and rough for another reason this might cause the flaps to rattle more than normal .

Has the car had a Full service recently, including new spark plugs, air filter etc. (budget servicing often just change the oil and oil filter) Others may be able to suggest other possible causes for rough running on this engine .You may find once the engine is running better the flaps wont rattle as much..

Comment

Originally posted by Bugman View Post
          Firstly I am having second thoughts about attempting to silence the rattle using silicon etc. Probably not a good idea to even try , except maybe on a car so near its end of life you have nothing to lose.

Can you clarify what you mean by the flaps being closed? Normally at idle ,and low revs the flaps should be causing their maximum disruption to the airflow , ie they are partly blocking the airflow. I'd call this 'closed' Then at higher revs they move so they are in line with the airflow causing the least possible obstruction for better performance at higher speeds. I'd call this 'open -like with a throttle butterfly valve.

If they blocking the airflow at idle and low revs this shouldnt affect performance. ( Unless the flaps are blocking the airflow more than they should , eg because they are clogged with dirt) They are doing what they were designed to do.

Its possible there is another cause for your poor low end performance. If the engine is running lumpy and rough for another reason this might cause the flaps to rattle more than normal .

Has the car had a Full service recently, including new spark plugs, air filter etc. (budget servicing often just change the oil and oil filter) Others may be able to suggest other possible causes for rough running on this engine .You may find once the engine is running better the flaps wont rattle as much..
          If I push down hard on the top of the 3rd from left swirl flap the rattle stops... but it's hard to keep my hand on it when driving.

Comment

Find a monkey that fits under the bonnet, and train it to hang on! . Sorry, that doesnt help I still think its worth checking the engine is properly serviced running as well as it should. Its something that may need doing anyway even if it doesnt cure the rattle.

If you already have low expectations of an engine its tempting to put up with a lack of performance and excess vibration assuming its normal . It may not be.

Of course a corsa D is significantly larger and heavier than a corsa B or C and the 1 litre engine may struggle under some conditions . It cant be compared to some of the very high performance 1 litre 3 pot turbo charged engines that have been introduced by some makers in the last few years. Either in power or cost.

Sorry to have been facetious. If its just one flap causing the rattle can it be disabled in some way so it cant flap about and rattle, but will still swing out of the way and not disrupt the airflow when they are all moved by the pushrod ? If most of them are flapping about doing their swirly thing, it probably wouldnt make much difference overall if one of them is not as mobile as the others. As long as it doesnt remain obstructing the airstream, when it shouldnt be, because just one flap will cause nearly as much obstruction as several. If you do suppress the movement of the flap best to do it in a way that is reversible.(and you can find the monkey another task ) Its probably best not to remove the flap completely, unless it can be done easily, and reinstalled if necessary.
            Last edited by Bugman; 22-07-2020, 06:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X