No announcement yet.

What Is The Best Gearbox Oil To Use? - Corsa D Manual F13 Gearbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa D 2006-2014] What Is The Best Gearbox Oil To Use? - Corsa D Manual F13 Gearbox

Hi, I'm looking to replace the gearbox oil in my Corsa.

I'm just wondering which oil would be best to buy.

There's the original GM 75w85 oil (93165290), or Castrol Syntrans Multivehicle 75w90.

Was going to use the original stuff, however, I'm not sure if it's fully synthetic? If not surely the Castrol will be superior?

I would be grateful if anyone has any knowledge on which is better.

Cheers!

You probably wouldn't notice any difference, but if the original is good enough for Vauxhall, then its good enough for me.
    They intend this oil to remain in the gearbox for the life of the car, so they must have a fair amount of faith in it.

Regards

Comment

The GM original has plain packaging and says little beyond its the correct stuff for Vauxhalls. I have seen one sellers advert , and mention in another forum, that says its Fully synthetic, but cant confirm this.
      Castrol is typical advertising hype , fancy packaging with branding to emphasis its synthetic origins ,and of course claims that its better than other makes. Also that it suits a variety of vehicle makes. Could it be a jack of all trades, master of none?

The GM oil has been used by GM in recent times in a period when synthetic oils have been the norm. Mineral based gear oil is still sold by various makers for some purposes,and can meet the ep (extreme pressure) additive requirements of API -GL4 But it tends to be clearly marked as mineral oil for use in certain conditions. Worth noting that the newer specification of gear oil - GL5 -is NOT suitable for many Synchromesh gearboxes. Its more suitable for final drive gears. Its higher sulphur and Phosphorus content can damage bronze and copper synchromesh mechanisms ,or is too 'slippery' for the synchromesh which works by slowing down spinning gears until they mesh with others during gear changes. Thus too high a specification can be a backward step.

Both the oils you list are GL-4 and would probably be ok.

Personally I would go for GM , made for the job. There is no guarantee that any 'improvements' made by Castrol ideally suit every make of gearbox.

Comment

Originally posted by Bugman View Post
        The GM original has plain packaging and says little beyond its the correct stuff for Vauxhalls. I have seen one sellers advert , and mention in another forum, that says its Fully synthetic, but cant confirm this.
        Castrol is typical advertising hype , fancy packaging with branding to emphasis its synthetic origins ,and of course claims that its better than other makes. Also that it suits a variety of vehicle makes. Could it be a jack of all trades, master of none?

The GM oil has been used by GM in recent times in a period when synthetic oils have been the norm. Mineral based gear oil is still sold by various makers for some purposes,and can meet the ep (extreme pressure) additive requirements of API -GL4 But it tends to be clearly marked as mineral oil for use in certain conditions. Worth noting that the newer specification of gear oil - GL5 -is NOT suitable for many Synchromesh gearboxes. Its more suitable for final drive gears. Its higher sulphur and Phosphorus content can damage bronze and copper synchromesh mechanisms ,or is too 'slippery' for the synchromesh which works by slowing down spinning gears until they mesh with others during gear changes. Thus too high a specification can be a backward step.

Both the oils you list are GL-4 and would probably be ok.

Personally I would go for GM , made for the job. There is no guarantee that any 'improvements' made by Castrol ideally suit every make of gearbox.
        Thanks for the detailed response

I think I'll go with GM after reading this, but I suppose either would be fine.

Comment

Working...
        X