Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa D 2006-2014] Corsa D Timing chain woes

Hi all

Thought i would finally sort out the rattling timing chain on my corsa 1.0 when i ran into a predicament. After getting most of the engine stripped down i then had access to the timing chain cover, But before i removed the cover i wanted to lock the camshaft and crankshaft in place with the timing tool that came with the kit. When trying to lock the camshafts in place i realised i was 180 degrees out so i rotated the engine another revolution but as i did that there was a very loud clunk. It took me a while to realise what had happened but eventually i realised that on one of the camshaft sprockets (exhaust) The timing chain had jumped. I've never seen or heard of this before. On the inlet side the chain is tight however on the exhaust side there is alot of play in the chain. As a result both camshafts are now in different positions. May sound like a bit of a stupid question but could anyone give me any advice on what to do to get the engine in the correct position as im beginning to admit that i've bitten off more than i can chew.

Thanks.

Welcome to the Forum.

As long as you haven't attempted to start the engine since you heard the 'clunk', you may well have got away without bending any valve stems.

You may need to turn the engine backwards (don't force it) in order to move the pistons away from the valves. This goes against the advice normally given, that you should only turn the engine in the normal direction of rotation when setting the timing, but if the valves are already in contact with a piston, you really don't have a lot of choice.

Once you have regained some normality in the chain position, you should be able to proceed with the work.

I hope that the chain you have bought isn't on of the cheap varieties, as these tend to stretch very quickly, necessitating fitting yet another (better quality) chain.

Regards

Comment

Working...
    X