Sump removal issue Corsa D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa D] Sump removal issue Corsa D

Hi - hope someone can shed some light. I’m in the process of removing the timing chain cover on my sons corsa D - i’ve dropped the exhaust and removed 14 x 10mm bolts inc the 2 recessed, and 3 x larger bolts from the gearbox bellhousing. Problem is that the sump seems solid. I’ve tried a thin scraper to separate the seal but it won’t budge. Haines says to tap it with a soft hammer. Tapping it isn’t doing anything!?? Wondering if anyone has come across this before and knows a work around?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It sounds like you have taken all the bolts out. I usually hit it with a mallet. What you could try is a large flat screwdriver in the gap at right hand front by the gearbox, where you removed the large bolt. Theres a long gap just above Put the screwdriver in there and pull it down . That should do it .

Comment

thanks, yeah I saw that gap but wondered if it was sat on a lug / dowel
      but if it pulls straight down I’ll give that a go.....

Comment

thank you so much for the advice - the sump is off 👍

Comment

Ok glad you got it off. Have you got the timing tools? You really need them to get the timing right.

Comment

yep, i’ve got the timing tool set. Trying to get to the chain as it’s slipping / jumping - so either a guide or the tensioner needs looking at....

Comment

Ok .make sure you fit the sump last . As the timing cover has to dowels. One about 2 o'clock and the other about 8 o'clock position and they need to be fitted to aline the oil pump in the timing cover where the front of the crankshaft goes through it. Drop back in here if you need any more help.

Comment

thanks, nice one!

Comment

So, I’ve got the timing chain cover off and, despite being advised this is rare, the timing chain tensioner seems to be retracting / sticking which is causing the chain to lose its tension. Wondering if this is normal?

Comment

No this not normal. Behind the plunger is a spring , plus you would have the oil pressure, pushing on the plunger. Yes you can push the plunger in and out. But when you are turning the engine over, the plunger should stay in the same position.

Comment

Comment

ok, so i’ve fitted a timing chain kit and followed haines manual to the letter just about. Chain is tensioned, cams are lining up with the the tools at tdc etc - reassembled and nothing, no start. Tried ‘easy start’ spray, spark present etc.

Just wondering, thinking about 4 stroke cycle, if it’s possible to get the timing 180 degrees out?? can’t think of any other reason why. It kind of feels like it might want to start maybe on one cylinder.... and as it’s 3 cylinders I suppose the middle one wouldn’t be out of time??

I dunno. Ready to consider anything.

And it’s raining!

Comment

If you've have set the timing correctly. Then could it be down on compression. You said on another thread that you found the exhaust cam was 70% out .due to the tensioner making the chain go slack. You could have bent valves. Can you check the compression?

Comment

I don’t have a compression tester (it broke) - just sounds normal if you know what i mean. i’ll get a tester...

Comment

ok, compression good - it was an electrical connection I had missed.

Been running fine, done about 150 miles absolutely fine, then been out this morning and oil light came on after 2 miles shortly followed by temp light. Oil & water levels fine, and drive belt is fine.....

Can’t be a coincidence....

Comment

Working...
                              X