No announcement yet.

Stumped with starting problem!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa D] Stumped with starting problem!

My son’s 1 litre 3 cylinder corsa D stalled and now won’t start - at all - spark is good, compression good, fuel present, no error code. New crankshaft sensor fitted. Got to be missing something......any help / suggestions appreciated 👍

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Welcome to the forum. I can't understand why it won't start if you've got all of the things you listed ,or even trying to start. I did once have a corsa once that didn't start with similar symptoms to yours. It turn out to be a block injectors rail . I sprayed easy start straight into the throttle body and it ran on the easy start. By passing the injectors .

Comment

Could be the timing has jumped. Has it been a bit rattley on start up or even when running. When was the oil last changed?

Comment

Oil & filter changed a couple of weeks ago. I’ve tried using easy start - no luck. I i understand about the timing, it’s just that it was running /,being reversed...

Comment

So I think we can rule out it being fuel then . As you have tried the easy start . And you've got a spark and compression. It must be the timing or the Exhaust cam shaft has broken off on number 3 cylinder. If your handy with the tools , wip the cam cover off and check the chain for slack across the cams .and see if the slots on the end of the cam , gearbox end, line up with each other when you turn the engine by the front pulley bolt .

Comment

As Restorer said.

I had the same problem with a 1.0 Corsa D after an oil change, turned out the chain tensioner was very weak and that little drop in oil pressure after the oil change caused it to compress and the chain jumped, causing a non start. May be the reversing has caused the revs to drop quite low and the oil pressure along with it.

Comment

That makes a bit of sense - did yours jump putting both cams out of timing or just one of them? Doesn’t sound like there’s an easy fix then....

Comment

Chain jumped sounds quite likely. . Especially if it was the driver who stalled the engine and it stopped abruptly

.Sorry if I'm stating the obvious but if the crankshaft (including the timing chain) is stopped abruptly, the camshafts etc will still be trying to rotate under their own momentum.With enough kinetic energy that rather than stop immediately it may jump links if the chain is loose or the cogs worn.

Comment

Yeah, makes sense. I’m going to get hold of a setting kit with the lock pins so I can see if it’s jumped. only 35,000 on the clock so shouldn’t be worn. Just hope it’s a non interference engine set up on these .....

Comment

So, after taking rocket cover off, I find both camshafts turning and chain is taught / not slack. Waiting for a timing set / locking pins to arrive....Still stumped though...?

Comment

*rocker cover (darn prodictave tixt!)

Comment

You have fuel, compression and a spark - that engine should do something if only cough!
                        I have had engines displaying similar symptoms, but having a blocked exhaust - but even they attempted to start.

I'm just wondering if the spark is correctly timed - but it would need to be a mile out not to even try.

Did you fit the crankshaft sensor in an attempt to cure the problem, or for some other reason? - I have had too many problems to mention with some aftermarket sensors.

Regards

Comment

Crankshaft sensor was fitted as a recommendation from someone. I’ve just had a go with the timing set and at tdc the exhaust cam is about 70 degrees. Also just been told that the cam can move on the sprocket as it’s not key locked, so I’m going to get that set up and go from there.

Chucking it down now - they never break down in the sunshine do they?🙄

Comment

I take it that you are saying that the exhaust cam is about 70° to vertical?
                            Even at that, I would still expect it to attempt to start - but as you have good compression, it would seem that you have avoided the dreaded bent valve stems.
                            Make sure that the sprocket bolts are correctly tightened when you have adjusted them - it is recommended that new bolts are used.
                            Do NOT be tempted to leave the locking tools in place when you tighten the sprocket bolts, a lot of damage can be caused by so doing.

Regards

Comment

So, I’ve finally got the timing chain cover off (I am doing this in my spare time hence the gaps in posting) , and despite being advised this is rare, the timing chain tensioner seems to be retracting / sticking which is causing the chain to lose its tension. Wondering if this is normal?

Comment

Working...
                              X