Power loss with white smoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa D] Power loss with white smoke

I have a corsa 1.2 60 plate been in garage couple of times changed coil pack spark plugs but problem persists when going about 15 miles starts to lose power then white smoke from exhuast then stops leave for a couple of mins then runs okay again for short journeys no loss of coolant and oil okay cylinder head been checked and is okay not sure what else it could be

It sounds like a head gasket to me . White smoke on a petrol engine means steam or vapour. What checks did the Garage do to look for the head gasket? The leak might only appear momentary when the car gets to a certain temperature, cuts the car out cools down, and the cycle starts again. Euro car parts sale K Seal about £12 I would buy that and just pour it in your expansion coolant bottle. And see if that cures the white smoke.

Comment

Garage done a compression check on it and they said it was okay will try kseal thanks

Comment

Welcome to the Forum.
        A compression test probably wouldn't show a loss unless it was carried out with the engine at the same temperature as it is when the problem occurs.

White smoke in the exhaust when the engine is COLD is generally caused by condensation, but after 15 miles, even on a cold day, you should be able to discount this as a possibility.

If you wished to carry out more checks, you could ask your garage to do a 'sniffer test' - This involves checking for hydrocarbons in the top of the expansion tank.

Are you quite sure that there is NO loss of coolant, even after repeated cycles of this cutting out?
        If there is NO loss of coolant over a few of these cycles, it seems strange that the problem is caused by head gasket failure - In any case, unless the engine had a 'hydraulic lock' ( a situation where there is so much coolant in a cylinder that it locks up the engine) I am wondering why it cuts out at all.BUT if A hydraulic lock were the case, there would be a definite loss of coolant.

If your garage haven't already done so, it might pay them to check for any fault codes that have been thrown up.

Regards.

Comment

Originally posted by Restorer View Post
          It sounds like a head gasket to me . White smoke on a petrol engine means steam or vapour. What checks did the Garage do to look for the head gasket? The leak might only appear momentary when the car gets to a certain temperature, cuts the car out cools down, and the cycle starts again. Euro car parts sale K Seal about £12 I would buy that and just pour it in your expansion coolant bottle. And see if that cures the white smoke.

Please do not put any crap in the expansion bottle e.g. K Seal, it can block small essential waterways and the most of it will lie in the bottom of the radiator.....
          If your engine runs a touch lean now and again, which should bring on the Engine Management Light, because the engine is running lean it will cause a power loose and condensation to come out of the exhaust. If this is the problem there should be a fault code stored, the Corsa D is renowned for running lean and having power loss problems....D
          Last edited by Davyf; 05-03-2020, 06:54 AM.

Comment

Hi,
            Did you get a result with this?
            Have just brought 1.2 petrol SXI for my son with the exact same symptoms.
            Would be grateful for some advise.
            Thanks.
            Michael.

Comment

Hi Ratty 369,
              Has your sons car got the lack of power problem or the ''mayonnaise'' in the oil problem?

Davy.

Comment

Hi,
                Power and white smoke, after it’s been running for approx 15 minutes.
                there is no mayonnaise in the oil.

Michael.

Comment

Is the Corsa loosing water, if it is it sounds like a head gasket problem. Is the white smoke smelly.
                  When you bought the car was there any warranty?

Davy

Comment

It does not appear to, but have not had it very long.
                    it drives absolutely fine at town speed.
                    unfortunately not, it was a private sale and unsurprisingly the guy I brought it from is not taking my calls...

Thanks,
                    Michael.

Comment

Hi,

Have left the car with a local garage, they think the problem is with the high canbus?

Apparently the car has high and low canbus, which they have checked with a multi-meter and fluke. The low they can see but the high they cant which makes them believe the communication from ECU is restricted causing the car to momentarily go into limp mode and blow out loads of white smoke and loose power.

Does anyone have any thoughts on that?

Thanks in advance,

Michael.

Comment

I've never heard of that before. Canbus is the electrical system. Yes theres 12 v and a 5 v system. But I don't think that will cause the white smoke. Please let us know if the Garage fixes the problem.

Comment

Agreed, i have collected the car. I did see a post on facebook describing similar symptoms which turned out to be rocker cover gasket, so will check that over the weekend.

Thanks for the feedback.

Michael

Comment

Like Restorer, that's a new one on me.
                            I can imagine that if there were an electrical problem (CAN bus or otherwise) it would be possible to end up with BLACK smoke due to the mixture being too rich, but white smoke (in my experience) is always caused by water in the combustion chambers or in the exhaust system when the engine is cold.

I'm also puzzling myself about the valve cover gasket - if that fails, you will have an oil leak.
                            What they might be referring to, is a build up of 'mayonnaise' in there, which consists of an emulsion, now if some of that was drawn into the inlet manifold, it is possible that it would produce white smoke, but again, your problem seems to be when the engine is hot, so that possibility becomes less likely.
                            You could check for 'mayo' simply by checking under the oil filler cap - or maybe disconnect the breather hose and check in there.

I've only just realised that we are dealing with two separate cases here. the original from Jonally and another that has been grafted on by ratty 369

Regards

Comment

Working...
                            X