Aftermarket Suspension / Control / Wishbone arm parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa D 2006-2014] Aftermarket Suspension / Control / Wishbone arm parts

Hi I have a 2007 1.2 Corsa D 80k miles. Car recently failed MOT due to worn bushings on both suspension arms.

After inspecting, the arm itself is pretty coroded and overall looks in pretty poor condition so I'm going to replace both arms completely.

I'm looking for parts online and am not sure which is the best balance of price / safety, reliability and performance.

Ebay: As cheap as £25 a side
    Euro car parts: Cheaper brand ~£45 a side, MOOG parts ~£60 a side

I've seen a host of others at varying prices, just not sure which to go for.

I'm looking for the best value for money that will perform okay for at least the next 3-4 years / 20k miles. Ive heard MOOG are good but not sure it's worth on my old car. Any recommendations / advice? Will the cheap ebay parts hold up that long / even be safe?

Side notes:
    1) Haynes says to use new bolts, will I have to source these from a Vauxhall dealer? (Also one is rounded so needs replacing anyway)

2) Local mechanic said he would do it for £140, what kind of parts do you reckon he's using.

Many Thanks

Last edited by Tizer7724; 03-01-2020, 08:30 PM.

If the £140 includes parts its likely he will be using whatever the local parts factor supplies, probably £25 jobs.

Whether to use after market parts is a difficult one to answer. There are basically two qualities. OE quality and after market. OE is original equipment as used by GM when the car was built. Although these may be marked up with Opel /vauxhall GM logos they are often made by other makers , some well known to the public, others only really known to industry insiders. But many are used under their own brand name. Vauxhall use many electrical components made by Delphi a for instance..

MOOG are an after market brand. Its one of many brand names owned by the American company Federal-Mogul, who in turn are owned by Tenneco. These companies tend to snap up ailing parts manufacturers primarily to use their well known Brand name and historic reputation. They dont necessarily continue to make them of the same quality. Federal-Mogul also own 'Champion' , well known for their spark plugs but the brand name is now used to add recognition,and higher price to a whole range of quite ordinary aftermarket filters etc. And despite being American owned the parts are often made in China anyway.

Its not just American companies that do this. Many well known and respected auto parts Brands are now owned by Chinese companies. They buy the name, not necessarily manufacturing values. Diffiuclt to say whether you are buying a no name part that is reasonable quality, or one made , possibly in the same factory, that costs more just because it is branded with a well known name (legitimately or not)

Be a bit wary of Euro car parts. They often sell Brand named goods of this type. Indeed they even own some brand names, or have european rights to them. But I find their biggest problem is they widely use 'discount codes' You may be able to get 50% off on your first order, 37% off at weekends etc. So prices are hiked to allow for this and unless you get the discount may find the same product significantly cheaper elsewhere. If you are interested in a particular brand, such as moog , try googling this name specifically. You may find a cheaper supplier.

I have just googled 'euro car parts discount codes' and there are quite large discounts codes available on third party discount code sites. The Daily Mail site had several over 50%.

Another possibility is to check out AutoVaux who sell genuine Vauxhall OE parts at a good price.

The necessary bolts are probably available aftermarket from the same suppliers,or might even be included. . If not try autovaux.

Working on suspension parts is not always as straightforward as it appears in workshop manuals. Undoing bolts, separating joints etc can sometimes be very difficult without the right tools.
    Last edited by Bugman; 04-01-2020, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bugman View Post
      If the £140 includes parts its likely he will be using whatever the local parts factor supplies, probably £25 jobs.

Whether to use after market parts is a difficult one to answer. There are basically two qualities. OE quality and after market. OE is original equipment as used by GM when the car was built. Although these may be marked up with Opel /vauxhall GM logos they are often made by other makers , some well known to the public, others only really known to industry insiders. But many are used under their own brand name. Vauxhall use many electrical components made by Delphi a for instance..

MOOG are an after market brand. Its one of many brand names owned by the American company Federal-Mogul, who in turn are owned by Tenneco. These companies tend to snap up ailing parts manufacturers primarily to use their well known Brand name and historic reputation. They dont necessarily continue to make them of the same quality. Federal-Mogul also own 'Champion' , well known for their spark plugs but the brand name is now used to add recognition,and higher price to a whole range of quite ordinary aftermarket filters etc. And despite being American owned the parts are often made in China anyway.

Its not just American companies that do this. Many well known and respected auto parts Brands are now owned by Chinese companies. They buy the name, not necessarily manufacturing values. Diffiuclt to say whether you are buying a no name part that is reasonable quality, or one made , possibly in the same factory, that costs more just because it is branded with a well known name (legitimately or not)

Be a bit wary of Euro car parts. They often sell Brand named goods of this type. Indeed they even own some brand names, or have european rights to them. But I find their biggest problem is they widely use 'discount codes' You may be able to get 50% off on your first order, 37% off at weekends etc. So prices are hiked to allow for this and unless you get the discount may find the same product significantly cheaper elsewhere. If you are interested in a particular brand, such as moog , try googling this name specifically. You may find a cheaper supplier.

I have just googled 'euro car parts discount codes' and there are quite large discounts codes available on third party discount code sites. The Daily Mail site had several over 50%.

Another possibility is to check out AutoVaux who sell genuine Vauxhall OE parts at a good price.

The necessary bolts are probably available aftermarket from the same suppliers,or might even be included. . If not try autovaux.

Working on suspension parts is not always as straightforward as it appears in workshop manuals. Undoing bolts, separating joints etc can sometimes be very difficult without the right tools.
      Thanks for the detailed reply!

I think I'm going to go with first line parts from an eBay supplier, £35 a side. I've seen them mentioned on a few posts on various websites as a decent aftermarket brand. Hopefully these will hold up well for at least a few years.

I've heard when you buy a cheaper aftermarket brand you are basically paying for their quality control to try and make sure you are getting a decent part.

Comment

Working...
      X