No announcement yet.

Removing Cat Converter from Corsa 1.2 sxi Z12XEP - rusted studs

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [Corsa D 2006-2014] Removing Cat Converter from Corsa 1.2 sxi Z12XEP - rusted studs

    Click image for larger version

Name:	rusted-studs.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	215.5 KB
ID:	124279Hi,

    My son has blown his head gasket, I part way through stripping it but cannot for the life of me get the cat converter off. I have managed to get a single stud turning, the others are way beyond turning before breaking. My though was to cut them off and deal with the removal when the head is off and on the bench. Problem is the 3 bolts in the recess holes!!! There is no way to get to them. Does anyone have any suggestions? My only other thought was to literally cut the cat converter off and replace it but that will add at least £100 to the replair.

    Any help appreciated.
    Last edited by taxidad; 01-01-2020, 08:56 PM.

  • #2
    Yes I've come across this myself may times . The main problem is the three 10mm nuts in the tubes. A 10mm long extension 6 sided socket is what I use. But if they have rusted away you've got no choice but to cut the cat off. If you are just trying to remove the nuts round the outside . I use a dremel with small carbide cutters to cut half the nut off ,and then a chisel. Or a small cutting disc in a drill .


    • #3
      Hi Restorer, thanks for the reply. I was dreading this being the solution. I have not tried to used a 10mm socket in the tubes, I just saw the state of the others and realised there are probably rusted. I will give that a try and failing that, I suspect the cat will have to be cut off. A shame as it is in a good state and a used one is best part of £100.


      • #4
        Ok good luck . Sometimes the 10mm nuts in the tubes are ok . Fingers cross .


        • #5
          I managed to get the 3 nuts off in the tubes using a 10mm deep socket. They tubes must have given some protection as they were relatively good condition considering the others were completely rusted. I then used a dremel tool to cut the nuts off the threads and an old screwdriver to smash the nuts off when they were split. I now have the cylinder head off and used vice grips to get the studs out. Persistence paid off, thanks for all the advice.


          • #6
            Thanks for letting us know. Glad you got it sorted .