Corsa D Vibration In 1st Gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa D] Corsa D Vibration In 1st Gear

My 1.2L Vauxhall Corsa keeps vibrating heavily in first gear on cold start. It happens only when I take off in first gear in the cold. It goes away after I have been driving for a while. The vibrating feels like the vibration you would experience before the car stalls. My coolant level has also been decreasing and I wonder if this is related or if that’s unrelated and my coolant is just leaking somewhere? Thanks

Welcome to the Forum.

There is a possibility that the two are related. If coolant were leaking into a cylinder for example, it may prevent that cylinder from working until it had 'dried out'
    Before doing anything drastic, it might pay to place some newspaper under the entire engine bay when parked up - leaks tend to run along metal objects and then drip off at an altogether different location to the actual leak.
    You could also check to see if there are any beads of water on the dip-stick.
    When a cylinder head gasket fails (which is a possibility), you may notice clouds of water vapour in the exhaust when starting the engine from cold - the problem is though at this time of year, you tend to get this 'steam' but when cold, it is likely to be due to condensation in the engine. Similarly, finding 'mayo' (a mixture of oil and water vapour) inside the oil filler cap, can be an indication of gasket failure.but, in cold weather, it will probably be there anyway, but in this case, it is due to condensation.

If there are no obvious coolant leaks, it might be as well to ask a trusted garage to carry out a 'sniffer' test - this device checks for hydrocarbons in the coolant reservoir, if present, this is a probable indication of head gasket failure - but as I have said, try and eliminate, or confirm an actual coolant leak before going down the road of gasket failure.

Regards for Christmas.

Comment

Hi Walksall,

Thank you so much for that advice. I will try all the things you suggested and let you know how I get on. I’ve booked the car into the garage for the 6th of January so if I’ve tried everything and not sorted it by then, I will ask them to carry out a sniffer test.

Thank you so much and have an amazing Christmas.

Comment

Working...
      X