Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa D] Corsa D engine replacement

Hi all, and thanks for reading this.
    i am about to start to replace the engine in a corsa d 1.2 and i was wondering what is thebest way to take the old one out? Up through or take the front off? Many thanks

Hi Welcome to the forum . I always take the engine out , up through you can do it with the gearbox or just the engine. I take all the pulleys, the Driver belt and adjuster and the Alternator off, just to give yourself a bit more room.

Comment

Thanks for that Restorer. It looked like there was enough room but just wanted to make sure before i started. I have no compression in no 4 cyl and i head the pistons crack causing this. I might just pull the old one apart after i fit the new one just to see if that is the cause

Comment

Just a thought before you pull the engine out. That crack noise could have been the exhaust cam shearing off over number 4 piston. Quite common on that engine. Take the oil filler cap off and start the engine and see if the cam is going around.

Comment

The 1.6 engine on the VXR has a reputation for damage to number 4 piston. You may be thinking of that. Personally I would really enjoy dismantling the old engine prior to scrapping , out of interest. And its good experience.

I would even think of stripping it down to the last nut and bolt then listing on ebay etc any good parts that are easily stored and posted . This takes time and is not normally something a scrap yard etc would do. But worldwide there are probably quite a few people rebuilding engines who may be looking for just that part, and yours may be the only listing they find. I have made a fair few quid in the past doing this.

For instance check out the recent post on here by Shonkers, who is having to replace some rusted rocker roller arms in sunny spain. These may be readily available, but rather than chucking them away you may be able to undercut on price or postage.
          I do tend to think outside the box and I know the idea will not appeal to everyone. But if it does you could research prices and availability to see if its worth the effort ,and what parts might be in demand. . And if you cant find a part listed at all either new or used , or only at silly prices, or as part of something bigger ,there may still be a demand out there which only you are supplying.
          Last edited by Bugman; 28-11-2019, 08:07 AM.

Comment

Restorer i ll check that on Saturday when i back in the garage. Bugman i never thought of listing the parts on e bay but definatly had planned on stripping it. Its been a long time since i stripped an engine, P10 primera back in the early 90's if memory serves me right

Comment

Sorry It was just one of my fanciful ideas.
              Parts from that Primera engine could have done well if you still had them tucked away in a shoe box.Little odds and ends that are easily lost such as valve cotters, or things that may wear or break.

I often sent stuff to places like USA and Australia, where even if they could source things elsewhere I could undercut with postage at cost. It was fun and kept the paypal account topped up. .

I once sent a 1935 steering wheel to Australia.(I had always thought the the outback was littered with perfectly preserved Pre war British cars !) I had to describe it on the customs sticker as an 'automotive direction control wheel ' because the post office refuse to carry steering wheels - presumably because they are assumed to contain an explosive airbag ).

Comment

The primera was only 6 months old when i done that. I was a mechanic many years ago. All fixed under warranty and all parts returned to nissan unfortunatly. I ll get this one fixed before i strip anything. I ll keep you posted as to what actually went wrong with it

Comment

Ok. Did you check the Exhaust cam today?

Comment

Didnt get a chance, dragged out kicking and screaming christmas shopping but i will be going straight from work over to the shed and i will check it then

Comment

Working...
                    X