Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa D] Corsa SXI 63 plate queaky noise

Hi all!

Just joined to see if I can get any advice on my Corsa issue. I get a squeaky sound coming from my engine that I sometimes hear when sitting at traffic lights. After a 20 minute or longer drive, once I turn off my engine, there is another squeak before the engine goes silent. No noticeable performance issues, slowing down or anything. Just the noise is a bit concerning.

I recorded the sound at the link below. The first part is the general sound while the engine is running and the car is stationary. At the end of the clip you can hear me turning the engine off (and resulting final sound).

Any ideas what this could be? Or has anyone else experienced this?

Sync.com | Control Panel

Hi welcome to the forum

Its difficult to tell from a sound recording but squeaky noises such as this often originate from one of the belt driven ancillaries. Water pump, alternator or air conditioning compressor pulley (which incorporates a rotating clutch that may still spin (and squeak) even when the compressor is not engaged.

First thing to check is your coolant level is not dropping . A noisy water pump might be leaking coolant, which makes the job urgent.

You could also check to see if there is any change with the air conditioning on and off. If there is a change it tends to point to this being the problem area, but no change does not eliminate it as a possibility.

You could try to locate the source by detecting any increase in volume as you get nearer the suspect component. But be very careful as there are moving parts. You dont want fingers , long hair or loose clothing etcr getting trapped in a moving belt. Mechanics sometimes use a mechanics stethoscope similar to that used by doctors to isolate noises but its probably not an ideal tool in this area. The difference in volume may be obvious when you know precisely where to listen. Or you could make a video moving close to the various possibilities in succession , (or a sound recorded with a narration of what it is.) The change in volume may be more obvious on a recording. or you can post it on here for others to have a listen.

But even if the source is identified it may be a good idea to get a second opinion before undertaking any expensive repairs. There might be an easier fix. And it may be none of the things I mentioned

Comment

Welcome to the Forum.

Bearing in mind Bugman's warning about rotating parts, a makeshift stethoscope is simply a length of dowel or even a very long screwdriver used as a 'sounding stick' - one end being placed IN the ear and the other contacting the various items that Bugman mentions. When you find the offending unit, you will clearly hear the sound.
      The problem with all of these listening aids, is that, just as you are ready to listen, the noise stops and you have to wait until it starts again.

Regards

Comment

Working...
      X