New front Shocks and Srings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa C] New front Shocks and Srings

Fitted new front Sachs shocks and springs today and not sure about the top mount as it now seems to have a gap between body and mount.
    I never took any notice when removing old ones so not sure if this is normal.
    Have put picture.
    Can anyone tell me have I made a mistake some where ?.
    every thing was tightened up and top mount wont go any further as its bottomed out on threads.

Thanks

Comment

I think the play could have been there before you started. Quite common on the Corsa for the rubber top mount on the inside where it sits up against the inner wing to collapse and shrink. You can buy the top mounts on there own from ECP .

Comment

I did put new sachs ones on first and that's when I noticed gap so I put originals back as they were in good condition anyway. Looking at it now I dont think there is not enough thread on the shocks to enable it to compress down enough as it's just bottoming out. Think if I used shallower nut when compressing spring down it might be ok but to be honest not sure I can now be bothered to take them out again.

Comment

Comment

Is it essential to use nyloc on nut that holds springs onto shocks. Would a flanged serrated one be ok. Reason being I need a shallower nut to get them to seat on car better. The top nut holding shock to body will be nyloc.
            Thanks

Comment

I dont know for sure. But if the originals had nyloc nuts Its best to use them again. Although it might be safe enough just locking the nuts with thread locking liquid this is a safety crucial area where an MOT tester may not be satisfied unless he can actually see crucial nuts are locked by an acceptable and visible method such as nyloc, split pins etc And he is sure to give your new mods a good looking over. . If you cannot find a nyloc that will physically fit, you could possibly drill and split pin (or wire) the nuts. .

Comment

The nut that connects shocks to body at top is nyloc it's the one that holds spring and top mount. It's just to big preventing the shocks to fully pull down to body as top nut bottoms out. Thus causing a knocking when going over bumps. If I use a shallower nut there will be more thread available to pull it down. Dies this make sense ?.
                The bottom nut it's not visible once installed but need to know if it will be safe.

Comment

The bottom nut is usually thinner, and sometimes just a ordinary nut ,no locking. And as you say ,you cant see the nut once its fitted. Why can't you use the old nuts you took off ?

Comment

They are old nuts but using different Shocks so i can only presume there is a slight differance in thread lenth. I've ordered some non flanged nyloc bzp nuts which are quite a bit shallower so il give them a try. Only other thing ithst could be causing it s the springs are 30mm lowering type and fitted to shocks without compressing them. I was assured they were suitable for the Sachs shocks though.

Comment

Just one other thing do I need to use shorter droppings on my new 30mm lovered springs ?

Comment

I think that's your problem, the lowered spring will sit obviously lower down the threaded shaft . And the nut can not screw down to take up the play . Is that what you're saying?

Comment

No both nuts screw down till they stop. But because the nut that holds spring onto shock is quite high theres not enough thread left for top nut to fully clamp the shock down to body of car to eliminate all of the play

Comment

If I'm reading this right the lower nut must be really thick if that is all that is causing the gap in your first photos. Is it really so fat that by replacing it with a thinner nut,( strong enough to do its job,) you will have enough extra thread to tighten the top nut down far enough? The bottom nut does not need to be nyloc as the top nut will be stopping it loosen. So you would be saving a bit height on the nylon dome bit.

. But I cant help feeling there is something fundamentally wrong here .You may have assembled the spring/shocks wrong. If there is a top plate that holds the spring down, and this is dished,you may have put it on upside down. Normally the dishing would sit inside the spring, preventing side movement. If you have put it on upside down the dishing will be too high preventing the securing nut bolting down deep enough. Or maybe there is a plate or washer, maybe similar to the one on top, that is missing from between the spring and under body.

Or you have the wrong model parts that do not have sufficient threading on the shaft.

Even if you can solve the problem with thin nuts it may be a good idea to double check the top plates are on the correct way round.

I have never done this job on a corsa, especially with upgraded parts. I may be thinking in terms a different design on a different car.

Comment

All of above have been double checked and all correct. The bottom screw does bottom out and shocks are identical including thread lenth, I just dont understand it I even used the old top mounts the second time as new Sachs ones did look bigger and thought that might have bee problem but it was same with both..
                              Only thing now I can pin it down to is that bottom nut or with them being lowering springs ( only 30mm ) is the drop links might need to be shorter as stock ones could be putting to much pressure on shocks and pushing them up to much.

Comment

Working...
                              X