Dipstick problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa D] Dipstick problem

This is almost unbelievable and I feel stupid for asking but I have a 2010 Corsa 1.2. When I checked the oil level I've found that the end of the dipstick has fallen in the engine. I can't get the car to a garage for a week or so. Is there a magnet in the sump that will have picked this up? Will it be Ok to drive for a week or so before I can get the engine flushed out?

Sometimes people use magnetic sump plugs, but this is more to catch very fine and light bits of metal, even if the car has one fitted I wouldn't want to trust that.

You might be able to use a tool (something like this Dapetz ® 24" 600mm Flexible Claw Pick Up Tool Spring Bendy Long Reach Thin Lifting Grab Up Tool: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools) to reach down and grab it if it's the entire metal bit that's gone in as presumably it'd still be in the pipe a bit, probably a fiddly job but easier than removing the sump I would have thought!
    TheCorsa's friendly predator

I like my women like I like my laptop. Thin, virus free and on my lap

Comment

There's no magnetic in the sump. There's a fine mesh filter on the end of the pick up pipe . So unlikely to get suck up into the oil pump.the piece will probably just sit on the bottom of the sump. So should be ok to drive to your nearest garage. Dont try to remove the dipstick tube. As I know there are only pushed in place on the engine block. But trying to get them out usually ends up squashing the tube.

Comment

Thanks very much for the advice. I'll get it over to a garage who can flush out the offending piece soon......then buy a new dipstick.

Comment

Working...
        X