Corsa D Power Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa D] Corsa D Power Issue

6 Months ago we changed the coil pack and spark plugs on my wife's Corsa D (2012 1.2 Petrol). A couple of months ago it decided it wouldn't start, i went out to her and we got it going. She drove it perfectly fine for a couple of weeks before it did the same again. Again we got it going but as a precaution took it to the garage and had the battery crankshaft sensor etc check and no fault was found and the car again ran fine for a few weeks. However in the last couple of weeks it has started just cutting out, not spluttering to a stop just nothing, you idle to a stop and then it struggles to start again. There are no fault codes showing permanent or intermittent.

Originally the garage changed the crankshaft sensor as it's a 'typical' problem but when it didn't solve the problem they didn't charge me. The kept the car for a couple of days and the cutting out has gotten siginificantly worse.
    The garage wired a light to the fuel pump and waited for the car to cut out, when it did the light stayed on (Power to the pump) but the was no fuel at the engine of the car and they were 99% sure it was a fuel pump issue, they have subsequently changed the fuel pump but alas on the drive away from the garage i made it about 5 miles before the car cut out and i drove it back again (Started on the 3rd attempt)

Given the fact there was no fuel to the engine when the car cut out, what could possibly be causing the car to cut out. Some times the car will drive 50 miles perfectly fine, other times it will cut out within a few miles?

Any help would be appreciated, i'm at a loss?

Welcome to the Forum.

My first thought on this was that the fuel filter may be ready for changing, this is based on what you are telling us (1) Power supply to the pump OK (2) The pump itself is new (although it isn't unknown for brand new parts to be faulty) (3) No fault codes.

If the filter hasn't been changed of late, I would suggest that this should be your first port of call.

Regards

Comment

Thank you, her car has a lifetime fuel filter, is it likely this would still need changing?

Comment

I'm not sure what a 'lifetime' fuel filter is! Is that for the lifetime of the owner, the lifetime of the car, or merely the lifetime of the filter.

I just wonder what happens to all the sandy grit that is normally filtered out of petrol - it has to go somewhere.
        It could be that a very large filter would last for the lifetime of the car, but it would still depend upon how clean the fuel is that you buy.

Unable to come up with a sensible answer to that one I'm afraid.

Regards

Comment

Sorry i mean when we looked to replace the fuel filter as part of the service, they don't make a replacement and it's built into the tank.

Comment

Your right the fuel filter can not be changed on a corsa D . I would of gone for the crank sensor as well. Because when they fail . They really give a fault code . The crank sensor works by telling the fuel pump to work when the crankshaft start turning. But as you have changed this, I'm wondering if it's the oil in the ECU . Remove the 02 sensor connector at the front of the engine right hand side and see if its wet inside. If it is try another  sensor connector to see if that's wet. If they are wet, then you have oil inside the ECU. And you will need to disconnect the engine ECU connector to clean the oil out.

Comment

Thank you, i'll ask the garage when i phone to see how they're getting on today.

Comment

I've spoken to the garage this morning and they're going to double check the connectors again (Just in case they haven't already). They're saying that they suspect an ECU issue as it is loosing earth. When it fires they get a nice spark then they dont.

Comment

The garage have checked the connectors and they are free from oil. They're saying they've done spark checks and we have a good strong spark that just dies for no reason. They have phoned about and no ECU guys can fix the ECU its a 200 model??? I'm going to try and get a part number when they open tomorrow. THe garage are going to phone vauxhall tomorrow to see what our options are, i'm quickly starting to think the car is done terminally without a massive cost (£1000+) for a new ECU

Comment

Another thought is we're able to establish communication to the ECU 100% of the time, is it possible the ECU could be fault but we're still able to do that?

Comment

Yes you will be able to communicate to the ECU . I sympathise with the garage you are using.¬† As an intermittent fault is hard to diagnose. There are two small wires that feed the earth to the ECU . One bolted to the lifting eye on the end of the cylinder head and the other one is bolt to a small plate bolted on top of the gearbox. I presume the Garage has checked these two wires have a good earth back to the battery.¬† You can send the ECU off to be tested ,usually cost about £200. But the ECU could test ok off the car on a Rig. As the fault might be somewhere in side the car .

Comment

THank you, when the garage enquired about the ECU testing and repair 2 reputable ones they commonly use dont do the specific ECU our Corsa has. I'm wondering if i brought a second hand one and got it coded to the car with Tech2 that would be ok?

Comment

Yeah you could do that . Or what I do is buy a ECU kit , from EBay about £80 . And change the lot over .ie clocks, ECU , BCM , ignition Barrel and key pick up.¬†

Comment

So as long as i get a kit that has the same part number as the original ECU, Immobiliser, transponder, key, ignition housing, clocks and door locks i shouldn't need it coding. Is it a lot of work to replace that?

Comment

For what it's worth I have just bought a replacement ECU from Ebay for £40. The OpCom is £30 and I will be attempting to install the ECU today/tomorrow. You have the garage to do yours but I will let you know how straightforward it is to do it yourself.

Comment

Working...
                              X