No announcement yet.

Need your collective brains people....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa D] Need your collective brains people....

I am a newbee... here out of necessity and you all come highly recommended... enough of the smoke for now...

First, let me introduce the motor... I have a late 2006 Corsa D, 1.2 16v twinport petrol semi/automatic with 98,000 miles on the clock.

I bought it with known issues which were at the time not insurmountable, a noisy chain drive since replaced which was restricting power and performance...

I had that changed in March, it was still noisy but passed MOT with flying colours... all good...

After this we had an issue with the coolant... disappearing, didn't help that it was during the warmest two weeks of summer mind, but that escalated to stalling on the A14 and causing a minor inconvenience... both to me and the world at large...

I have it towed back by our local 'go-to' mechanic, and of course when working on it he finds a hairline fracture in the head... he quotes me for skimming and replacing the head... I give my blessing.

He pulls off the water pump and it is a heap of rust... we replace that... Thermostat... replace that...

Now he finds one of the tops of the rocker has worked loose, and that we agree explains the 'noisy' engine after the chain replacement...

He puts the car back together after three days and gives it back to me and for what ever reason it is lumpy as buggery.... rough idle, no power, won't engage gear, slow to respond...

So now he tells me that it's a MAF sensor issue... I spend two days looking for one before I read on here that they don't have one... we have Air Temp Sensor...

No he says... it's the throttle body... I get a new one (for me... it's 10 years old in reality)... nope... not that...

We get a second hand EGR valve... it must be that he says...

Takes off the old one... puts on the new one....

Starts the engine... it cuts out after three seconds.... and dies....

'F' on the Dashboard... we got lights, windows go up and down... the radio works... but it just clicks on turnover.

So this is where we are now (I am now... he's washed his hands of it):

I need to know if he's fried the ECU somehow?

I have done about 6 things I have found on YouTube... that is to say unplugged all the plugs I could, disconnect the battery for 4 hours... knock the gearbox with a heavy object, check that the break lights and all the lights in fact work...

Because he had started the car and it cut out I am inclined to think that it is not mechanical.... AND previous to his meddling I could get fault codes out of the OBDII using Torque Pro.

Now when I and he plug in the OBDII readers they can't even communicate with the ECU (which is why I think that is the issue)

If anyone can make a suggestion they please feel free to chip in...

I need to know how scary buying a new ECU is including when and how and do you need special tools to programme them/it.

If I have missed out on any technical aspect let me know and I will fill you in accordingly.

Thanks for your valuable time.

Garthman

F on the Dashboard normally means the BCU unit.
    it's a ECU That controls all the body and electrical inside the car . You can damage them when jump starting the car. Its behind the glove box .if it's an early Corsa D 56 plate . You could try disconnecting and reconnecting the plug connectors on BCU and see if that brings it back to life. You can fit second hand ones .but they will need programming to the car with OP - COM .

Comment

Thanks I appreciate the feedback Restorer.

I think I have spent enough on this project, which I don't regret... but I wish I had something that moves after it all.

I'll let you know of the progress later.

Garthman

Comment

Well. You have to try these things don't you?

Killed two birds with one stone coz that glove box has been dangling for three months... at least that is nearly fixed now.

So I am at the BCU exactly where Restorer promised it would be... I unplug all the plugs and cables... blow them coz you know that makes a difference... plug them back in....

I go to start the car and there is no power? Battery dead.

Swapped it out for the next door neighbour's... I get life... I get an A on the dash (as opposed to the F) the dials all flutter for about 3 or 4 seconds... then it all goes blank...

It can't be the battery (I gave that back very hastily). Mine is on charge under the stairs...

Does anyone know would that confirm that it is the BCU or more likely something other?

All help appreciated people.

Thanks

Comment

Well it would be rude to have asked for your opinions and not keep you all updated eh?

Here is a a pic of my ECU... I think I know why it isn't working.

Comment

Working...
          X