1.2 sxi 2010 clutch pedal pumping :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa D] 1.2 sxi 2010 clutch pedal pumping :(

Hello all first post so go easy Having trouble with my corsa D....changed the waterpump at the weekend due to a leak. fixed that problem. Randomly the next day i noticed the clutch pedal needing a few pumps to disengage the clutch. Tried a bleed and did not help (although i am not sure the bleed was perfect but its no worse than before).

If i stomp on the pedal it builds up pressure straight away no problem and works as normal. If i press the pedal slowly it falls to the floor with a little pressure buildup at the end. Fluid level is right at the top of the cap and i have never noticed and loss of fluid anywhere. I can drive the car perfectly normally with a single hard stomp on the clutch pedal to change gear but if i forget and rest my foot on the clutch pedal lightly it drops easily to the bottom of the travel (then i let it back up and stomp once again to change gear).

My initial though and hope is the master cylinder - perhaps an internal piston seal that is worn? i don't want to chuck time and effort at that really if its the slave but is there any easy way to diagnose which one is most likely FUBAR? No visible fluid leaks anywhere.

I am struggling to think how anything i did changing the water pump could have affected the hydraulic system! perhaps the car being up on a ramp for ages on one side caused air migration in the hydraulic lines or something or maybe its just good old sods law

thanks for all the help

Welcome to the Forum.

What you describe, is a classic case of clutch master cylinder failure, had it been the slave cylinder, there would have been a loss of fluid.

Stamping your foot on the pedal creates sufficient pressure to expand the seal and operate the clutch, but if you gently and progressively press the pedal over (say) five minutes, you would probably find that the pedal reached the floor without even starting to disengage the clutch.

The good news then, is that it is easier to change the master cylinder than the slave.

Regards.

Comment

Working...
    X