Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa B] 4EE1 X17D Engine—A lot of heavy black smoke under load

I started a related topic there:The starting point

From the start, years ago–since the first time I have used this car, I find that the engine performance's was pretty poor.
    Maybe because the previous owner of this car used it only for "very short trips". An average of 1 kilometers, 4 times a day, 5/6 times a week, maybe for 15 years… So, I know, the engine can be very sooty…

Problems
    Then, months ago, the engine started to produce, time to time, some black smoke. So I used Wynn's diesel cleaner products (for oil + fuel). But the situation has gotten worse Performance decreased again, and the engine produced with time, more and more heavy smoke, particularly under load. So I stop to use it more than one month ago.

What I did
    1. So lastly, I checked the injectors, and find that the 4 were in bad condition. So I changed them.
    2. I changed the muffler too as is was full of soot.
    3. I changed the Oil.
    4. Oil and diesel fuel filters have been changed too.
    5. Air filter is clean, so I keep it.

But now I get a lot of heavy black smoke under load, much more than before.

What I checked
    Here what I checked:
    • EGR valve is clean (I cleaned it, and was not so sooty).
    • No apparent leaking parts (pipes, etc…)
    And finally, the tank is 3/4 full of diesel fuel, with the Wynn's diesel fuel product.

I cannot edit the first post?

Anyway, I can add that this car has no turbo charger.

The smoke does not really smell like unburn diesel fuel (maybe because of the Winn's product?).

Comment

Apologies, I have only just spotted your post.

It would be worth having the fault codes read, noted and cleared (deleted) as it is common to find codes that no longer apply, generally referred to as 'historic' codes.

Using fault codes is not only quicker, but can also save money, as the alternative is to keep doing work or fitting new parts which may not really be needed.

If you are sure that the smoke is BLACK rather than BLUE, it is a sure indication that fuel is either not being burned, or that too much fuel, or even too little air is entering the engine.
      There is a possibility that the engine is suffering from poor compression pressures (pretty much the same thing as too little air), so if there are no fault codes and no obvious alternative problems, it might pay to check the compression pressures. Unfortunately, this is a more difficult task than it is with a petrol engine, but can give very definite indications of the engines health.

Should a compression test not indicate the problem, and there are no other causes, it is likely to be down to the injection pump that is delivering too much fuel.

Regards

Comment

You certainly do not have to apology! I only have to thank you for all your time and help my friend!

And, of course, you right, it would be worth having the fault codes, but if I am not mistaken, this car has an OBD 1.5 system. And years ago, when I tried to read something with an OBD-II device, it did not return anything… Do you have any suggestion for such 1.5 device?

As for Black/Blue smokes, before re-taking all apart, I noticed some blue smoke mixed with a lot of black smoke, but I guess it was due to the sealing sleeves.

Since, I have tested "PCV Valve" and EGR valve, and both seem OK.

Edit: I find this linkI will check this
        Last edited by Abu.Hurayrah; 10-06-2019, 07:43 AM. Reason: additional information

Comment

From what I remember of OBD 1.5, it didn't tell you a great deal - maybe like yourself I was using an OBD-II device, mind you, it is a long while ago, and I thought that OBD11 worked on cars from 1996 onwards.

If there was any blowing past the injector seals, it would have made quite a distinctive 'whooshing' sound, but any loss of compression would result in black smoke.

Does the engine 'use' oil? It may be possible to be able to look into the injector ports and get some idea if it looks 'sooty' or 'oily'.

Regards

Comment

I will try Op-Com device, to see what I can get.

As for blowing injectors, there where obvious traces of leakage around the seals (soot and fuel where present).

As for engine oil use, well, the engine does not overuse oil. I even get very confused before trying anything with injectors, as, last time when I did oil drain, I put around 4 liters, but I removed, if I am not mistaken, around 7 liters :s Moreover, the color was very black and the texture very "smoothy" :s As if there was some fuel mixed.

Then, from what I can see in the injector ports, there is some soot, but not "so much".
            Last edited by Abu.Hurayrah; 10-06-2019, 07:17 PM.

Comment

That seven litres (or so) of oil might suggest that there has been fuel contamination with the oil, possibly due to faulty injectors failing to atomise the fuel - Can you remember if the oil looked 'thin'?

Problems that may arise from too much oil in the sump include - damage to the catalytic converter (this can also be caused by over fuelling), oil leaks, contamination of the clutch (from the leaks via the rear main bearing) and burning of oil (due to it being thrown about as the crankshaft is hitting it) - I have even heard the strange sound as the crankshaft strikes the oil.

Regards

Comment

As I have not put the used oil in the landfill, yet, I checked it, and I can say that it looks thin, something between fuel and new oil, but closer to new oil, and smells like the smoke I described.

As for problems that may arise, I hope the car is not in any of these cases (above all in "contamination of the clutch" :s).

Comment

Don't worry too much - If the 'cat' had suffered, you would have had a 'check engine ' light appear on the dashboard. If there were oil leaks, there would be oil on the ground where the car had stood. If the clutch were contaminated, it would either not 'clear' normally when you press the pedal and/or the gears would be hard to engage from stationary - or if it were bad enough, it may even slip, causing engine revs to increase without any increase in road speed.

Regards

Comment

Working...
                  X