Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa C] Types of suspension on Corsas

Hi,

Whilst viewing shock absorbers to buy, I note that there is reference made as to what type of suspension they are to be used with.

Mentioned are:

Vehicles with sports suspension

Vehicles with standard chassis

Vehicles with heavy duty suspensions

How does one know what type of suspension is fitted to the car?

What actually makes the difference?

Here the source:

Mister Auto - Front shock absorber OPEL CORSA C (F08, F68) 1.0 (60Hp)

Sports suspension is lowered by 15mm with stiffer road springs. I believe the sxi had stiffer springs but was not lowered, but was lowered if you specified the sports option with 17" wheels.
    If the car is a standard trim level below sxi I doubt it would have been available from Vauxhall with sports suspension so will be 'standard chassis /without sports suspension. . If its an sxi or sri you may need to check further
    (van versions may have had heavy duty suspension/stiffer springs)

Comment

Thanks.

The ride feels hard. Any reason?

Comment

Depends what you have changed. A different brand of spring and / or shock absorbers (or coilovers) might be stiffer than the original. This may just be due to the fact the old ones had got tired and 'saggy'

If you have done other things such as new rubber/silicon suspension bushes, lowered the ride height , changed tyres, (especially if larger wheels have been fitted) this may result in a stiffer ride.

Its worth noting that GM specify tyre pressures that vary by about 10 psi depending on whether you want a comfortable ride or ultimate fuel economy. The eco pressure gives quite a hard ride .

Comment

Corsa C

All original GM parts. The labels are still on them.

I actually went down to 13" tyres

I pump fronts to 32 psi and rear to 26

The Corsa B I had was softer or rather comfortable.

Comment

Sorry I forgot it was a C. In recent years most car makers seem to specify very high tyre pressures presumably so they can use them as the standard for better mpg and emissions results. The D has a whole chart of tyre pressure options, IIRC my corsa d diesel, on 14" wheels specifies the front tyre pressures as low as 28 psi if you want comfort, and as high as 39 psi if you want economy. I have compromised on good old 32 psi front 28 psi rear.

Do you mean the C rides harder than it did before you replaced parts? Or that the C has a harder ride than your B? I have never driven either so I cannot compare them.

But even cars of the same make, suspension design, size and weight , ride can vary a lot. Roads surfaces in europe have improved since the corsa B was introduced (except in uk where potholes seem to be getting worse ) GM may have tweaked things on the C to favour tauter handling on smoother roads.

I have noticed that small nimble hatchbacks that originate from the 1990's perform very well on very rough 'third world' roads. The Corsa B was produced until 2016 in Argentina.
            Last edited by Bugman; 03-06-2019, 06:57 AM.

Comment

hi

I meant the C is harder than the B.

I did not replace any suspension parts on the C. It is hard since I got it (used car)

I have the nearside coil spring/damper stripped at the moment. All seems ok and in working order.

The damper seems a bit slow in extending after retraction but -- I imagine -- that is probably its correct function -- am I correct?

There is a manufacturer marking in the spring. Not 'GM'. i will have to look again and report back/investigate.

'GM' is marked on the damper assembly.

Maybe someone changed the springs???

I have a spring/damper assembly form a 'B' here and i could compare -- just for fun!

Comment

'NG' is marked on the Corsa C spring

'XT' on the Corsa B spring

Are these manufacturers or grades of compression as I find no info

Comment

They tend to be a bit vague on how quickly they should extend after compresssion - if at all. The main factor is how much resistance there is when compressing by hand and when extending it by hand. This is probably a matter of experience ,knowing how a good shock should feel. Experience I dont have. It can also depend on how quickly they are compressed . I have also read that its only gas filled shocks that will self extend, and although loss of gas may slow down or stop its self extending ability this does not necessarily adversely affect its ability function as a shock absorber. Its the hydraulic fluid damping that matters most.
                  Check out this you tube video. There may be others.

GM dont normally make their own springs, but use OEM makers , such as GKN . NG and XT are probably quick codes used by the manufacturer to identify the spring type and its specification without having to stamp them with full GM part numbers etc. They could easily be originals. It might be possible to back track from GM part numbers to find a particular spring maker who use these short codes.

Comment

Thanks for the great video.

I stripped and cleaned both suspension springs and dampers. All seem ok.

I do have resistance in both directions on the damper.

There is a GM number on the spring.

I forgot to write it down.

I compared the damper to an old corsa 'B' one and they all retract/extend at about the same rate.

Funny that there is only one stud/nut at the top of the suspension assembly holding it to the moncoque.

On the 'B' there are three.

Will report back as to driving performance.

Comment

As noted in my other post, the car failed the NCT/MOT.

Broken/damaged coil spring on back.

I have yet to look.

After all my work stripping and cleaning/reburbishing the front ones...

Do these have to be replaced in pairs? If so, why exactly?

Comment

Best practice was always to replace the pair. This was to avoid matching an old spring that may have lost some of its springiness ,ride height and strength with a brand new one. This might cause unbalanced handling with a firm ride on one side and a soggy one on the other side.

But they do quite often change just one spring these days. Maybe the consistency and quality of the tempering of the steel is now better.

My Yaris failed its mot on a broken front spring a couple of years ago. They only replaced one spring. I was a bit concerned, but a desire to save money persuaded me to wait and see how it went. Any problem and I could get the other one replaced with the same brand. But it was fine . The car was about 10 years old at the time but had only done about 40,000 miles

You'd think a broken spring would be easy to spot , but this was right up near the end of the coil where it seats. Under compression the main part of the spring seated quite snugly onto the matching broken section. It made no noise even on quite rough roads. . I only got an occasional slight knock when the undulation allowed the car to get slightly 'airborne' for a second. The unsprung weight of the suspension was then momentarily 'hanging' beneath an airborne car, allowing the break in the spring to separate slightly. It didnt help that I was convinced the noise was coming from the rear ,and couldnt find anything wrong ,and that ,unlike the mot tester, I was unaware its a known weak point on the yaris.

Comment

I was annoyed at myself for not seeing the broken spring.

However, is is -- as you allude to -- well hidden when broken at the top.

I have taken a matching pair form a Corsa B with only 86k miles.

There seems to be a very slight difference in height between the Corsa B and C rear coil springs but they fit and will be fine for the purposes of passing the test.

Of course, there may be a difference in the compression properties but I have no method of testing that. Yet.

Thank you for your help.

Springs are removed from B and going to C this evening!

Test at 07:00 tomorrow.

I will report back

Comment

Passed test.

No imbalance on the back suspension between sides.

15% imbalance on the front (30% allowed).

Will change out the drop links

Comment

Working...
                            X