Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa C] Rattling/noise from inner front of vehicle engine bay area

05 Corsa 3-door, 1 litre, 13" tyres. 165,000 Km

So, these types of problems are always difficult to describe and communicate.

There is a rumbling coming from somewhere forward of the cockpit in the engine bay area.

I have always had this problem.

I have tightened the bumper it was off for another job -- real tight now), new plastic bumper rivets (3 x underneath att. bumper to subframe)

I have fitted a new offside wheel arch liner. New rivets were used here too. Tightened/replaces rivets on nearside liner too

Splash/sump protector is tight. New rivets.

Still a rumbling persists. I hear it better at low/crawl speed on -- for example -- a rough(ish) but not totally very rough country road.

As if it were a loose plastic panel -- but nay not be.

I do not hear it at speed probably due to wind/engine/etc. noise.

Any common problems in this regard known?

Outer tie rods were replaced. Drop linke were NOT.

I note that he nearside wheel bearing has a small amount of play and I am looking into changing that BUT there is no noise out of it at speed.

Whhels/tyres swapped out

Any ideas?

lower Suspension arm and bushes NOT replaced but all seems fine as I had the hubs off in order to change the CV boots (and grease/inspect joints) on both driveshafts.

There was a squeaking occurring when I went over a bump (from offside I think) but that seems to be gone now.

Sterring bush makes a knocking sound as is common on these

Comment

Terminology can be a problem when describing a noise.

I get the impression that you believe it may be from a body part, as you seem to have spent most time attempting to cure the problem in this area, but I Would associate the word 'rumble' with a rotating part, wheel bearings being one example.

It might be an idea (if you haven't done so already) to check the oil level in the gearbox.

Is there any chance that this noise could be from the exhaust system? A silencer with loose baffles can make a fair din, or even the exhaust mountings being perished.

I did have a problem some years ago (not on a Corsa) in which I eventually traced the vibrating type of noise to be from the air cleaner element.

Regards

Comment

I can hear it better at low speed. Maybe it is present at higher speeds too and I may not be able to hear it

It is subtle but noticeable enough.

It can happen when passing over a bump or on a relatively smoth road with a little roughness or if undulating.

I notice it can happen when I engage ('let up') the clutch.

I will check the GB oil level. Good idea!

The nearside wheel bearing is showing play. The offside shows nothing. I am in the process of changing it.

More as I find it.

Thank you

Comment

As you mention that engaging the clutch can cause this, it might be an idea to check the engine/gearbox mountings.

Regards

Comment

Yes, good idea.

I noticed this morning that when I -- at standstill -- engage and then disengage the clutch, it occurs.

It does sound like a plastic cover or similar vibrating but that could be misleading.

Comment

Working...
            X