Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Corsa D 1.2 XER engine mount - impossible!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa D] Corsa D 1.2 XER engine mount - impossible!!

Hi
    Am attempting to replace the water pump on this car but cannot remove the engine portion of the engine mount. There seems to be physically insufficient room to waggle the mount past the water pump pulley etc. I have watched all the Youtube posts I can find and read as many posts but no one seems to show this particular version being removed. The videos shown (which are older Corsa's or different models to the XER) all have far more distance between the mount and the chassis but even they struggle badly to get this mount off (or fail to show its removal!!) I have tried jacking engine up and down and even used a long bar to lever engine away from chassis but all to no avail! Please see photos
    There must be some novel trick to do this - anyone know and can help please?
    John

Here's the Vauxhall Tech Procedure for removing the water pump. Hth.

Comment

I've never done that year. But it looks similar to the XEP . You need to undo the three bolts on the water pump pulley. Then lower the engine down on a Jack until it touches the inner wing. Get under the car and remove the lower bolt on the engine mountain and pull it out. Next Jack the engine up as far as you can and undo the top two bolts . Now you should have the engine mountain wobble about and you can now squeeze the water pump pulley out. Then pull the back bolt out. Now pull the engine forward and the front bolt will pull out just.
      let us know how you get on..

Comment

Hi Tommy
        Thank you for copying that to me. It is not the clearest of guides but is still really helpful. Last night I actually managed to remove the mount using a similar procedure to that described in the tech procedure by trial and error but had little idea if that was how it was supposed to be done and no idea how I would get it all back together!!
        When I got you post this morning I gave a sigh of relief as the guide at least will now allow me to put it back together (hopefully!). I think a big flag should be placed somewhere telling A12XER owners how difficult and big the procedure is on this model unlike the earlier models and the many videos showing it as simple on Youtube.
        Once again many thanks for posting this to me - it is much appreciated and very helpful.
        kind regards
        John

Comment

Thanks also to Restorer. I will report back on how I get on.
          But just a point of note that others may have found before:
          I was exchanging the water pump as I was having very slight coolant loss ( small damp patch on drive directly under water pump area after cold standing). After driving (even up to and back from Scotland from Newcastle) almost no water loss at all! Only happens when cold it appears. On exposing the water pump I noticed one of its holding bolts heads was wet and red and when I pulled out the bolt it was coated end to end in what is best described as wet sludge. On removing the pump there appears to be a break/gap in the gasket where that bolt goes through. I am now wondering if that is the cause rather than the shaft seal. Anyone experienced this? If that is a common fault it is a hell of a lot cheaper to fix than a new pump!

Comment

Should also have said that although the car is 8 years old it only has 20k on the clock.

Comment

Taken some photos of the suspect leaking bolt. Just for comment.

Comment

Ok.thanks for the update . Glad you got it sorted.
                thanks for the photos, Will keep a eye out when I come across a problem like that cheers .

Comment

Followed the technical procedure for the refit and all went well. Will test my old water pump for leaks when I get time but the car is definitely quieter at the timing chain end (was clicking quite a lot which I took to be the timing chain) with the new pump so maybe the old one was on the way out.
                  Many thanks for all the help it is much appreciated.
                  John

Comment

Thanks for the update, glad you're sorted

Comment

Working...
                    X