Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa D] Corsa D 1.3 cdti power loss

Hi all.

I've just about had enough of the car now, I've only had it a few weeks and since I've had it I've give it a set of recon Injectors, fuel filter, fuel sender, drained the tank and flushed it then added forte system flush with fresh fuel, mass air flow sensor, pulled out the stupid rubber bung which blocks and fills with water and ruins the ECU and I've checked the ecu visually for any water damage and it's fine, boost sensor, oil and oil filter and an air filter. It's been running spot on for about 2 weeks.

On way home from work yesterday on the m6 in the fast lane and lost all power under 3k so I just strolled until I came off at my junction to a set of lights. When I set off from the lights it was completely flat and started chugging, it almost felt like I was running out of fuel, revving a little bit then stopping then revving then stopping. I carried on foot to the floor then when it got at around 3k it gained power and took off and then I just kept the revs high until I got home.

had a little look about on the forums and it says to check the turbo actuator to make sure it's not stiff or seized, I removed the pipe from the turbo to the air filter to give me more space and soaked the actuator arm in penetration spray and worked it back and forth with a pair of long nose pliers. It felt stiff but not seized of sticky so it moved freely but had a resistance so i assume it isn't that. Took it on a drive and was still flat until around 3k where it would take off. After about 15 mins of driving it all of a sudden got all it's power back then was fine until I got to work (40 miles away). I stopped at the shop and got back in to find it had lost power again.

please can someone help and give me some ideas for what to try. Thanks n advance.

It could be a sticking egr valve, if you have a spell where it's running ok and got the power, stop, unplug the egr valve and see if the problem returns. If it doesn't you'll know the problem. If it is the problem try removing and cleaning it before replacing it. This test will probably throw the engine management light on but don't worry.

Comment

As above, that sounds very much like an EGR valve
      Like me...feed me likes!

Comment

I thought this and went to remove it but the unit it's self looks brand new like it's been replaced but I could be wrong. I'll see if it's on a good spell when I finish work and if it is I'll disconnect it and see how it goes and will take it off to clean it anyway for peace of mind. Does it limp when it throws a light up for the egr on these or is it just the light? Thanks for the replies guys.

Comment

When I had a 1.3CDTi and the EGR went, it went into Limp mode, struggled to start, struggled to drive...it was awful
          Like me...feed me likes!

Comment

Remember the old saying. "Never judge a parcel by its wrappings"! - You may be correct in saying that the EGRV 'looks new' - and it may well be, BUT there are a lot of spurious parts out there, often made in the Far East, and sold for very much less than a genuine part. It might pay to see if you can find any identification on it.

Regards

Comment

And if it been cleaned up at any time with solvents the outside will stay looking good longer than the inside. Cleaning is great but unless every last spec of crud or corrosion is removed (which may not always be possible) the remaining roughness may allow new crud , corrosion and stiffness to build up more quickly.

Comment

Yes you are all very correct! I waited for a good spell where the engine was at full power, pulled over and disconnected the egr plug and haven't had an issue since. If anything it feels much better than it has before.. The EML has came on but is still running spot on so I'm just going to leave it disconnected until I get round to the annoying job of removing it and cleaning it. At the same time I'm in 2 minds whether to just be done with it and get it mapped off the ecu and get a little power gain too as it's only the 75hp engine so wouldn't mind a bit more poke. Either way I'll post up on my progress. Thanks for the replies guys!

Comment

Thanks for the update

Comment

Comment

Just get it mapped out

EGR valves are stupid anyway!
                      Like me...feed me likes!

Comment

I thought I'd chip in on this one as while researching for myself, I found very little posts which concluded with their cause/fix. I had a very similar problem with my corsa D 1.3cdti 90hp. It started with a ĎP0400 EGR valve stuckí which caused no problems other than the eml on. I attempted to fix this problem by removing the actuator from the top, soaking the top of the valve with wd40 and attacking with a plastic hammer until it moved freely.

After I had put it back together the problems started. I had little to no power between 800 revs and 2.5k revs, at which point the turbo would leap into action and chuck you back in your seat.

It turned out that I hadnít fully freed the valve, it would open fine, but wasnít fully closing. This caused an exhaust gas leak into the manifold, preventing turbo spool until the revs got to a much higher point.

My initial temporary fix was a blanking/restrictor plate I bought from e- bay for less than £5. It has a 5mm hole drilled in the centre to allow minimal flow and prevent the eml to show... this resulted in much better performance than I had before any of the egr problems so I have decided itís now my permanent fix and the car runs perfectly.

Comment

Working...
                        X