Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa D] Engine Trouble

Hi

i have a 1.3 diesel 2013 and Iím having a bit of trouble with the engine. First of all once itís driving for about 10 minutes, sometimes longer/sooner the noise off the engine changes completely. It turns into a more rough noise and when going up the revs thereís like a squeal noise, when this is happening itís drinks the fuel.. once I turn the engine off the cooling fans will come on for around 5 minutes then power down, took it to a mechanic and he said it was the temperature control sensor and replaced it. That helped for maybe about a week but the noise returned. Hasnít been using any more coolant than usual.

Squealing in usually from the auxiliary belt and associated parts, ie worn belt, sticky pulley/water pump or weak tensioner. With the fan staying on and the temp sensor change alleviating symptoms for a while i'd be leaning to a dodgy water pump. You could remove the belt and check the pulleys/pump for ease of turning. Although this isn't a definitive check it may expose a problem. If you can do it when the engine is up to temp and when the problem starts would be better.
    As a rule it shouldn't use any coolant, if you are losing any coolant this could indicate the problem area too, like a seizing water pump will cause the coolant to boil and lose an amount of it through steam (this could also cause a squeal bit like an old kettle whistle). Is the temp gauge/light indicating overheating?
    This is where I'd start and also some live diagnostic running data could tell you more.
    Do you know what engine code you have? A13DTC, Z13DTJ etc?

Comment

Hi thanks for the reply

Yes the old kitchen kettle boiling squeal is bang on, Ive been thinking for ages how to describe the squeal and thatís spot on, thanks for that Iíll get a good nosey at the water pump tomorrow, the engine code is z13dtj thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Its just a thought, but when you say that the temperature sensor was changed, things improved for a while, so the thought is that maybe the new sensor was NOT a genuine Vauxhall part - There are lots of spurious sensors for sale out there, some at very low prices BUT many of these are no better than the old one, whilst others have a very short life.
        I would always recommend that you buy only genuine sensors.

Regards

Comment

Thanks yeah the sensor was bought off eBay so that could be a strong possibility Iíll maybe go on the hunt for a genuine Vauxhall sensor and see if that does the job, thanks

Comment

Try AutoVaux, they sell genuine Vauxhall parts, but generally at a much reduced price.

Comment

Any updates on the problem?

Comment

I havenít been driving long enough for the past couple of weeks maybe 10 minutes at a time, until a couple of days ago it I took it a good drive couple of days ago, all was good until the engine started to warm up and everything returned, took it too a mechanic for a quick look but with a cold engine it sounds normal so I took a recording of the nosies and he reckons itís the water pump so itís goes on Thursday

Comment

Also the problem with the corsa is there is no temperature gauge, you can go away into the computer settings and get a temperature reading but itís a pain at the time, although with the cooling fans staying on after I would imagine the engine wonít be at a safe temp so I would say you where pretty bang on about the dodgy water pump.

Comment

Good luck with it anyhow and let us know how you get on.

Comment

Hello Conner,
                      There are several apps that let you view your car's computer data, most of them you have to pay to use. I have an ELM327 wifi device that plugs into the cars diagnostics port and transmits the data to my cell phone via the app. There also are programs that you can download to a laptop that will let you see your car's info too. If you try this method just make sure the app matches the device; it could be wifi or bluethooth. Back to your original problem, I would check your water pump and thermostat. Let us know what you find.

Comment

Working...
                      X