Corsa c rattling engine noise

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa C] Corsa c rattling engine noise

I have a 2006 1.0 corsa c that blew a valve ,I changed the valve and put new gaskets new timing kit and new tappets,I'm now left with the annoying rattling noise any ideas thanks

Hi Welcome to the forum

I would have thought there are several possibilities in the area you have worked on. Or maybe something else needed fixing but was missed.

What caused the valve failure? Are you absolutely sure the other valves were undamaged, and not for instance slightly bent ?

One possibility is the hydraulic tappets are not primed with oil. They might fill themselves after a while and quieten down, but I dont know for sure. Others may know.

Did you use a full timing chain kit with new sprockets? You can buy kits without sprockets but its not a good idea . There could be a mismatch in specification or wear on the old sprockets that will cause immediate noise. A cheap aftermarket kit is not a good idea either as they often wear much more quickly than a genuine GM one. But you would hope this would not be immediate if the kit and tensioner has been fitted properly.

You might be able to isolate exactly where the noise is coming from by using a mechanics stethoscope. You can buy them , but putting the handle of a large screwdriver against your ear and the tip pressed against the component/area you suspect works quite well. Too well sometimes, Everything can sound noisy when you this,the secret is knowing what is abnormal. Or a short length of hosepipe or similar, one end to to your ear, the other close to the suspect area might help. But be careful of moving parts.

But its best not run an engine making unexplained noises. Can you give any more details, and maybe a video or sound recording?
    Last edited by Bugman; 07-02-2019, 07:37 AM.

Comment

Hi
      the car runs fine no problem there it does sound like hydraulic tappet noise but they were primed with oil and it is the right oil for the car aswell ,the noise gets quieter when you accelerate cones back when you lift of and at tick over thanks

Comment

Yes I used a full timing kit it's not a gm one but it wasn't a cheap one

Comment

Thanks will have listen to see where it's coming from it wasn't noisy before blowing the valve and not sure why it blew the valve

Comment

Sounds like the chain tensioner is losing pressure and causing chain rattle. Is the rattle worse on initial start up after it's been stood overnight? Sounds a bit like a hammer drill.
            I've found with dodgy lifters they make more of a 'ticking' noise.

You could remove the tensioner cover bolt and video the tensioner (be careful by the auxiliary belt) while having someone start the engine and give it some revs, just to see if there is any play/weakness in it.

Comment

The noise seems to be coming from the opposite side from the timing side and it sounds the same when cold and warm ,you can't remove the cover for the tensioner as it's all one cover for the timing

Comment

There is a screw in the timing cover to access the tensioner when adjusting the timing. 5 & 6 in the picture.
                Like Bugman says could you post a video of the noise and location?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Corsa C Timing.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	164.5 KB
ID:	121273

Comment

Thanks will have a go at the weekend and will try uploading a video once my internet is fixed

Comment

Update ,
                    stripped it down yesterday to find the tensioner is not working properly it is sticky ordered a new GM genuine one so hopefully this will fix it

Comment

Good luck with it and let us know how you get on.

Comment

Update
                        new tensioner fitted and still getting the same noise took it to a mechanic he said it could be the tappets but they are new any help thanks

Comment

What exactly happened to the old valve, which valve was it? Is the noise coming from the same area as that valve and did you find out why it happened?

Comment

Not sure why it had blown a valve and it was an inlet valve but yes the noise seems to coming from the same area it could be piston slap going to take the sump of and check the bottom end

Comment

With you saying the noise goes when accelerating I'd still be leaning towards some thing oil pressure related. I'd get the valve cover of and check the lifters. Just because something is new out the box doesn't always mean it will work. It could even be a restricted oil supply to the lifter. Can you post a video?

Comment

Working...
                              X