Corsa d 1.3cdti bad start

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa D] Corsa d 1.3cdti bad start

Hi all since the weather's dropped my corsa d diesel is really struggling to start, battery is healthy and alt is charging fine.. After 10 minutes of driving the car starts fine though I've put some videos on here.. Apparently the plugs got changed 4 months ago but may be cheap and goosed already?? Any help is much appreciated
    ​​​​​​
    On morning start

And 10 mins after running
    ​​​

Welcome to the Forum.

Wow! That battery is certainly in good condition!!

A couple of possibilities come to mind here. First of all I would check that the glow plugs are each receiving their voltage (use a multimeter, or even a simple test light) and that they are working.
    A VERY rough method of checking both of the above, would be to switch on the lights, operate the glow plugs and note that the lights dim (at least to some extent) - if they don't dim, the chances are that the plugs are not working.
    If the above IS the case, there is likely to be a pronounced Diesel 'pong' from the exhaust during cranking.
    Another possibility ( although this would happen after standing for long periods, even in higher ambient temperatures) is that there is an air leak into the fuel system, meaning that the system is having to virtually 'bleed' itself before the engine will start.
    Is the servicing up to date? If there is water in the fuel filter, this can freeze and restrict the fuel flow - but from listening to the way the engine ran after eventually starting, this is a far less likely scenario.
    As you say that the plugs have been replaced recently (although you are not sure of the replacement's quality) A likely suspect COULD be a faulty glow plug relay - although a break or poor connection anywhere in their circuit would give the same result.

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by walksall View Post
      Welcome to the Forum.

Wow! That battery is certainly in good condition!!

A couple of possibilities come to mind here. First of all I would check that the glow plugs are each receiving their voltage (use a multimeter, or even a simple test light) and that they are working.
      A VERY rough method of checking both of the above, would be to switch on the lights, operate the glow plugs and note that the lights dim (at least to some extent) - if they don't dim, the chances are that the plugs are not working.
      If the above IS the case, there is likely to be a pronounced Diesel 'pong' from the exhaust during cranking.
      Another possibility ( although this would happen after standing for long periods, even in higher ambient temperatures) is that there is an air leak into the fuel system, meaning that the system is having to virtually 'bleed' itself before the engine will start.
      Is the servicing up to date? If there is water in the fuel filter, this can freeze and restrict the fuel flow - but from listening to the way the engine ran after eventually starting, this is a far less likely scenario.
      As you say that the plugs have been replaced recently (although you are not sure of the replacement's quality) A likely suspect COULD be a faulty glow plug relay - although a break or poor connection anywhere in their circuit would give the same result.

Regards
      Thanks for the reply, I've taken the glow plugs out they are pretty chocked sooted up, but tested them on multi meter and checked them while still inside the connections but out the block and they heated up pretty fast and decent glow so not sure where to go from here, the 3rd one on the picture shouldn't be that bad after months in. Thanks for the help.
      Last edited by Tonyb; 03-01-2019, 02:21 PM.

Comment

That rusting on the third plug could be down to condensation When you stop an engine, it tends to stop in one off two positions, so if that plug was in a cylinder in which a valve is open when stopped, moist air can enter.
        In itself, that isn't much of a problem (unless the engine isn't run for several weeks during cold, damp weather) Problems can arise when the rust has become more pronounced and you try to remove the plugs - it isn't unknown for them to break off - that's when the troubled start.

It seems that you have eliminated the glow plugs as a possible cause of the problem, so now perhaps you should concentrate on the fuel system.
        First of all, make sure that there are no obvious leaks - even 'moist looking' areas around pipes and connections can indicate a slight leak - and you only need a 'slight' leak to allow air into the system when the engine is standing (or even when it is running, depending upon where the leak is in the system.
        I take it that the fuel in the tank is reasonably fresh - Oil companies change their fuel formulae between summer and winter months and 'summer' fuel can (not will) cause poor starting in cold weather.

You could also treat it to a new fuel filter, which may not make any difference, but won't cost the earth and could prove to be an investment I WOULD RECOMMEND THAT YOU CONSULT THE HAYNES WORKSHOP MANUEL FOR YOUR MODEL BEFORE CARRYING OUT THIS TASK.
        Use ONLY lint-free cloth to clean fuel filter parts and clean hands/gloves to handle the new element.

Whatever else you might do - DO NOT be tempted to use 'Easy Start' type products, these can cause severe damage to the engine, especially if used on a regular basis.

When you switch on the 'ignition', can you hear the fuel lift pump priming ? (a buzzing sort of sound) - this should run for a few seconds and then stop unless you start the engine. As the engine seems to run OK once started, I would think that the lift pump is in good order, but just make sure that it does cut out (stop working) after a few seconds - continued running could indicate a leak.

Let us know of any progress.

Regards

Comment

Working...
        X