X12XE 1.2 Coolant Flush / Change Proceedure

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa B] X12XE 1.2 Coolant Flush / Change Proceedure

Can anyone help me with the correct procedure for flushing the coolant on the X12XE engine?

There doesn't appear to be any drain plug or hose at the bottom of the radiator, only one at the top right hand corner.

Where do I connect the hose and where does the excess coolant flush out?

I did check the tutorials before posting but I couldn't find a relevant post. As I already said, there is no bottom hose.

Comment

Yeah sorry. I realised I had overlooked your no hose problem. Thats why I deleted my comment almost immediately, but too late it seems I have never owned a B so cant help. Sorry

Comment

I have had a quick look on line, as you probably have. Several people reporting the same problem as you - no hose at the bottom , but no real help (including from me on the tutorial on this site) . I found an advert from Haynes manuals claiming it will tell you how to change coolant on the Corsa D. Maybe their manual for the B does the same. Its certainly worth buying one if you havnt already got one.

Comment

Yes I had the same problem. Annoyingly I've already done it once before, but can't remember the correct method. There used to be a tutorial on one of the forums but I can't find it anymore.

Comment

I'm trying to visualise the 'B' radiator, but I think what you are saying that it is horizontal flow, rather than the more conventional vertical flow.

It may well be that the only way to completely empty the system, is to remove the radiator - the advantage to that in any case, is that you can PART fill it with clean water, seal the inlet and outlet, then give it a good shake to remove any sludge.

When you buy coolant, it generally tells you to mix it with the appropriate amount of water to give you a 50% mix - the problem with that is, that you invariably end up with some left over! I much prefer to put the correct amount of coolant (anti-freeze if you must) in NEAT and then top up with water.

When filling these cooling systems, it is all too easy to end up with an air lock, the way to avoid that, is first of all make sure that the heater is set to 'hot', then put in the coolant followed by the water VERY slowly (almost dribbling it in) Fill it to about half way between the min and max marks and run the engine until the thermostat opens, keeping an eye on the level and topping up as required. You may find that the level falls again when you drive, meaning that, even though you have been careful in the filling, some trapped ait has now found its way out.

Regards

Comment

I'm not looking to remove the radiator, just flush the system and refill. As you say, concentrate must be used in order to achieve the correct strength due to residual water in the system. I think this video illustrates the correct procedure (even through for a different engine) which looks similar to what I did before. I looks like the trick is making sure enough water gets siphoned out after flushing so there is enough spare volume to add the concentrate.

Comment

A small antifreeze strength hydrometer may help. You can then adjust the strength of the coolant with antifreeeze concentrate to compensate any water left after flushing. They have little balls that float depending on concentration, although I believe there may be more than one version depending on the type of antifreeze used,(or maybe you can get universal ones). I thought I had one in the desk as I type this but its for screenwash.

Comment

I did the coolant on my B once, not a proper job mind (no way was I removing the rad, and I doubt I did any proper antifreeze ratio measurements). I think I flushed it by running a hosepipe through it for a while (it won't get the crap from the bottom, but it's better than nothing) and tried to catch as much of the old stuff in buckets as I could and adding some antifreeze to it afterwards. The benefit of doing it that way was that nothing was emptied so air bubbles shouldn't have formed.

There is a reason I just pay someone to do it now, even Halfords is only about 40 so I imagine it's cheaper elsewhere, just doesn't seem worth the hassle to me!
                  TheCorsa's friendly predator

I like my women like I like my laptop. Thin, virus free and on my lap

Comment

Working...
                  X