Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa D 2006-2014] Rear Drum and Shoes

Hi,
    Have purchased new font discs and pads and also new drums and shoes for rear.
    Fronts no problem but I have never changed rear drums before.
    Is there any thing I should know before I attempt this.

I know to take off hand brake but that's about it.
    Do I have to take hub off on this model as im sure its inside the drum or can it be done in situe.

My model is a 2012 mk3 Corsavan 1.3cdi

Thanks

Comment

Hi thanks for info. I have managed to remove the drum screws and drums to inspect before I replace and they came off with a gentle tap. Thanks again

Comment

Further to the health and safety advice given by Walksall. I'd wear safety goggles for the whole job in case return springs ping out etc . And maybe a dust mask. Although its not asbestos these days you still dont want to breath it in . If its very dusty a wet cleaning method may be better than dry brushing or an air line.

Comment

I had a grinding/squeaking noise coming from my rear driver side brakes.
          When I took the drum off the spring (I now know is a thrust spring) fell out.
          Upon closer inspection I found the pivot was missing, hence why the spring had fallen into the drum causing the grinding/squeaking noise.
          I see from your IPC photo that the are both shown with some numbers there. Which number is the correct part number?
          Is there any special way to replace the pivot and the spring or is it some kind of interferance fit?

Comment

Hi The part number is GM 93189979 for the thrust spring and GM 93189980 for the pivot. Google the part number to find suppliers. .

. I googled the pivot number and found the following kit which includes both these parts,and a few more bits. .
            JP Group Brake Shoe Accessory Fitting Kit 1264003410 Top Quality for sale online | eBay But you may find the same kit cheaper, or with fewer parts cheaper still.

I would call the fitting method bayonet fitting . The pivot has two bayonet lugs which will pass through a narrow slot on the spring in one plane only , When turned by 90 degrees the lugs sit crosswise to the slot and are too wide to come out again. When fitted correctly the lugs locate in two depressed slots which prevent it turning. It is kept in place by the spring tension.

I have only ever fitted the more common type of thrust spring found on most cars which is a small coil spring and slotted washer. With these you will find the pivot bayonet is not quite long enough pass to through its slot until you compress the spring a bit, maybe by gripping it with pliers. This compression gives the required spring tension .

The vauxhall uses a spring clip, but I think the basic principle of bayonet and slot with compressed spring tension is the same. I did notice from google images that the exact design of the spring seems to vary depending on its maker. I cant help with any specific fitting techniques on this type but it may be obvious once you get the parts. Others may be able to help further. If you run into a problem we may be able to help if you send a photo of your brakes and the part you are trying to fit.

I often found it more challenging trying to assemble the shoes in the correct sequence with their springs the right way round and slotted into the correct holes.

If you get a kit that comes with extra parts to do both sides it may be a good idea to go ahead and replace all the parts on both sides . Dismantle and reassemble each side separately so if you are in any doubt how something should fit you can still refer to the other side. Or the modern alternative - take reference photos before and during the dismantling.

But be careful and wear eye protection. These little sprung bits can 'ping ' out .
            Last edited by Bugman; 13-09-2020, 06:16 AM.

Comment

Thanks for that info.
              It's all sorted now, a mechanic friend of mine had some spare ones lying around.

Comment

Working...
              X