Mixing oil grades/types

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Non Corsa] Mixing oil grades/types

I need to top up my oil in the Impreza (not ready for a service just yet due to car needing some bodyshop time), the problem is I don't know the grade of oil or the type that was put in (I know it's Valvoline VR1 Racing from an invoice). The oil looks to come in 2 variants - fully synthetic and semi synthetic.

Any idea if me mixing grades and/or the synthethic'ness will matter on a small quantity of oil? Or am I best waiting (the car is close to the low level, and I worry about the turbo) until I can do a full change?
    TheCorsa's friendly predator

I like my women like I like my laptop. Thin, virus free and on my lap

If you have fully synthetic oil in the engine, it really isn't a good idea to mix other types of oil with it, even semi-synthetic oil doesn't like unknown oils mixing with it.
    You could try an email to Valvoline and ask their advice, or it might be better to just change the oil now (if you do that, I would also change the filter as well.)

Regards

Comment

I'd just do a full change now to be honest. For piece of mind for the future. At least then you'll know for definite what is in it!

I thought you could mix fully synthetic and part synth as long as the grade matched., and that it was just mineral oil you can't mix?

N.B turn the filter the correct way
      Like me...feed me likes!

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        I'd just do a full change now to be honest. For piece of mind for the future. At least then you'll know for definite what is in it!

I thought you could mix fully synthetic and part synth as long as the grade matched., and that it was just mineral oil you can't mix?

N.B turn the filter the correct way
        I don't have the stuff to do it (needs some ramps or something) just yet, nor the time. I'd book it in to my local reputable garage but I want them to do quite a lot whilst it's there and I'm still waiting on a bodyshop date

It's not super low (just below half between the dipstick high/low) so I have some time I guess!

You'd have to be a total fool to turn the filter the wrong way

Comment

Hi. It appears VR1 racing oil is available in Mineral , Semi synthetic, and fully synthetic versions (just like 'ordinary' brands!) So you also need to know which version was used. Fully synthetic presumably. It is said to have a 'high zinc' formula. I have seen other engine oil that is actually silver in colour, although I dont think that is due to zinc. (Lithium maybe -"she cannae take much more of this captain, she needs new di lithium crystals")

Although its may be ok to top up bog standard oils with another bog standard brand of the same viscosity and type (mineral,semi, or fully) its probably best not to mix brands if a high tech formula is used.

Comment

Originally posted by Bugman View Post
            Hi. It appears VR1 racing oil is available in Mineral , Semi synthetic, and fully synthetic versions (just like 'ordinary' brands!) So you also need to know which version was used. Fully synthetic presumably. It is said to have a 'high zinc' formula. I have seen other engine oil that is actually silver in colour, although I dont think that is due to zinc. (Lithium maybe -"she cannae take much more of this captain, she needs new di lithium crystals")

Although its may be ok to top up bog standard oils with another bog standard brand of the same viscosity and type (mineral,semi, or fully) its probably best not to mix brands if a high tech formula is used.
            I thought this might be the case, I'll speak to the bodyshop guy this weekend if I can to sort out when he's likely to need the car, then see about fitting a service in!

Comment

I get my cars serviced in Bulgaria! They are happy for you to bring your own oil ,so you can source exactly what you wish used. And theres usually enough left in the can for a top up. And some garages have their own cafe from where you can watch them putting your oil into your car. The one I use has a Macdonalds next door. A wave from the mechanic when its finished. Very civilised.

Comment

Wow, not quite that nice here!

I've got the pricing for what I want from my local trusted garage (full service with 5w40 fully synth, spark plugs, gearbox oil and diff oil 460). Not the cheapest in the world but it'll take the worry away!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Wow again! 460.00 for a service - Do you happen to know what the hourly charge is at that garage? I hope that their price includes VAT.

I do like the idea of the Bulgarian method of servicing, especially being able to visit MacDonald's and getting a friendly wave when your car is ready, now that is what I call 'service'.

Comment

Originally posted by walksall View Post
                    Wow again! 460.00 for a service - Do you happen to know what the hourly charge is at that garage? I hope that their price includes VAT.

I do like the idea of the Bulgarian method of servicing, especially being able to visit MacDonald's and getting a friendly wave when your car is ready, now that is what I call 'service'.
                    It's 60 an hour I think, and as far as I know includes VAT. The spark plugs are 50 alone if I buy them myself elsewhere, and changing them is a bit of a pig (they're on the sides of the engine, being an Impreza)

Comment

Yep, they will do as little or as much as you need. Oil change, about 3 labour , same for oil filter, and air filter. plus parts, unless you bring your own. The fuel filter on the yaris diesel was a bit more .|The cost of a replacement OEM filter shocked them.(about 30 I think) They offered to refit the old one free of charge ! It also cost a few more calories in Macdonalds while they got the oem part delivered.

I lost faith in UK main dealer servicing many years ago when charged about 10 in parts for 'door lock grease'. To be fair it did come in a one car plastic syringe with the car makers part number (They left it in the car) . But If a year old car needs its locks greasing I would do it myself, , or expect them to include it foc using a tub of the stuff. Rip off Britain. The last time I had a jeep cherokee main dealer serviced it cost over 500. And they wanted,but failed, to charge me over 1000 to replace both rear leaf springs because one spring clip was missing. They only listed the whole springs, not the 5 clip. Ironically the site of the UK Chrysler/ Jeep dealers is now a drive through Macdonalds!

Comment

I picked up a set of new spark plugs from my local Vauxhall dealer a few weeks back at 5.00 each.
                        I could probably have obtained them much cheaper at Halford's, which is only 50 yards away, but I have a bit of a 'thing' about spark plugs for the following reason;
                        The all important thing about spark plugs (apart from the thread size and 'reach') is the HEAT RANGE - Now the plugs that are sold for general use are something of a compromise with regards to heat range, whereas the plugs (which may well be made by the same makers) but sold with the car makers name on through dealerships, tend to be more precise as regards to heat range.

I apply the same principle to engine oil unless I can obtain it with exactly the same specification as the car maker provides. Many people sell oil by the viscosity rating, without too much information being provided on specification.
                        With regards to replacement parts, it pays to check on prices, as it is quite common to find genuine parts at the same price (or even less) than 'will fit' parts - some of which in any case are a bit suspect - sensors (of any sort) being a good example of this.

Still - each to his own - you pays your money and you take your choice (chance?)

Regards

Comment

Expensive iridium tipped spark plugs are becoming very popular. They have a very fine tip. I suspect their main benefit is a longer service life, since service intervals are becoming longer, and quite often have spark plug replacement as an optional extra. Bosch dont advertise their version as long life, but then they dont really want you extending your purchasing intervals.
                          They may be overkill on 'ordinary' cars, but maybe not a WRX. .

I also think some of the recent advances in oil technology ,and ever increasing rating codes etc are aimed mostly at extending its service life. On the average engine some of this this premium price might be better spent on more frequent oil and filter changes. Again, to be fair a WRX probably justifies the best oil available.
                          Even some budget oil brands are now higher spec than the oil the car left the factory with.

Comment

Working...
                          X