No announcement yet.

corsa D Air con noise.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa D 2006-2014] corsa D Air con noise.

Have a 2010 corsa d 1.4se and recently with the air con on for a while a droning noise starts up building up to a loud screeching which is really loud.
    I removed the heating fan and stripped it down expecting to find a bearing starting to seize but all was well, I took the time to clean and lubricate the bearings anyway.
    The noise seems to come from behind the dash area and appears at any speed, but more so when the outside temp; is over 23 degrees, if I touch the aircon switch it immediately stops,turn it back on and it may be ok for a few minutes and then just a small squeak is heard and this may then go away or it is more persistent and builds up to a screech.!
    Is there a valve in the circuit behind the dash or something other than the motor that could cause this.? It's very unpredictable and can be loud enough to smother conversation apart from being VERY annoying.!

Welcome to the Forum.
    Have you had the air con re gassed ? If so, it is possible that too much gas has been added.
    Could the sound be caused by some item at the rear of the dash 'resonating' at certain frequencies ? - As the sound is only there when the air con is switched 'on', it may be pointing to something loose near to the evaporator - a bit of a long shot though, and not easy to access.

Regards

Comment

while the car was stationary I felt under the glove box and when the noise started the motor and plastic air trunking were vibrating quite a lot, if you pulled it over hard the noise eased off.could it be the pollen filter.?

Comment

It could be the pollen filter, or more precisely the trunking ,covers etc containing it. Especially if has been replaced recently, and maybe not reassembled or clipped together properly? The first time I changed mine I think I dismantled and unclipped more pipes and bits of trim than were strictly necessary. But there are lots of other pipes, trunking, big plastic airboxes ,plastic flaps, hinges, control rods etc under there that could have become unclipped or dislodged.

Is it manual aircon, or automatic climate control? Climate control might be switching the system on an off ,adjusting fan speeds etc ,which in turn is affecting whether or not it resonates, and how badly. If its manual controlled, is there any difference at different fan speeds?

But finding the source might need some more detective work . Being very careful of avoiding any moving parts you might need to crawl about while the noise is active, hoping to for it to stop, or change tone when you touch the offending area, either by hand, or using some sort of rod,such as a large screwdiver, to reach and press against less accessible components.

Actually a large screwdriver can act as a very effective stethoscope if you put the tip against the suspected source of noise and your ear against the handle. Or you can buy mechanics stethoscopes fairly cheaply. This might help in tracking down the source of resonance, or excessive noise.

Have you eliminated the aircon compressor itself, under the bonnet ,as a source?
        Last edited by Bugman; 30-06-2018, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Having checked everything I could think of without results I decided to get the car re-gassed professionaly in my local garage.
          Watching the process being carried out on a machine that was practically automatic I noticed it retrieved 540gm of refrigerant and only replaced 470gm, the air-con works fine, almost being too cold and, so far, no noise.!
          Is there a pressure relief valve in the system and if so would this have "blown off " the extra pressure possibly caused by too much refrigant.? thinking about it it would be that sort of noise and it would vibrate a lot when "blowing". Just a thought.

Comment

As far as I am aware there is no pressure relief valve on any of these systems.
            If you look near to the bonnet lock, there should be a plate stating how much gas the system needs BUT from time-to-time, the quantity required is revised, so it may be that LESS new gas was put in than taken out, simply to reduce noise in the system.

Regards

Comment

Well, I have just completed a 120 mile journey to Eastbourne and back in temperatures up to 32 cent; and not a squeak out of it so I am well pleased.! Had a small complaint from the better half that it was a tad too cold so I guess you can't improve on that.!
              Thanks for all comments on this, will be back if anything else gives trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by moby View Post
                Well, I have just completed a 120 mile journey to Eastbourne and back in temperatures up to 32 cent; and not a squeak out of it so I am well pleased.! Had a small complaint from the better half that it was a tad too cold so I guess you can't improve on that.!
                Thanks for all comments on this, will be back if anything else gives trouble.
                My home town, what were you doing here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                X