2008 Corsa D 1.4 - Fault Codes and Misfiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa D 2006-2014] 2008 Corsa D 1.4 - Fault Codes and Misfiring

Hi all my girlfriend corsa is playing up running really bad, I've read the fault codes and there p0304 p0303 and p0068,
    it's a miss fire on cylinder 3 and 4, is it likely to be a coil pack or air flow meter? ?
    any help or advice would be appreciated.
    thanks.

P0068 is the MAF, so perhaps try cleaning it with electric contact cleaner.

As for the misfires, try the cheapest option first (spark plugs),

Swap the plugs from 3 and 4 with 1 and 2, and see if the codes follow, if they do, replace the spark plugs. If they don't then try the coil pack
    Like me...feed me likes!

Comment

Hi Welcome to the forum

My knowledge of coil packs, ecu codes and air flow meters is limited,and others may have better ideas. I'm not sure a faulty afm would only affect two cylinders ,although any poor running might affect the two 'weakest' cylinders first. (ie the two running least well anyway due to other problems))

I believe you can do a check on the ecu by unplugging it temporarily to see if the car runs any worse. No change means the afm may be at fault. If running gets even worse its less likely to be the afm.

When were the spark plugs last changed? Unless you know they they have been replaced recently ,or the tips look new and shiny its probably best to change them anyway. This alone could solve the problem, and even if it doesnt, its worth doing anyway.
      You might think, how can two plugs fail at once? It may have been the car ran well enough on 3 serviceable plug and one marginal one, but cannot cope once a second plug becomes marginal.

It could also be the coil packs, but before replacing them check the connections where they plug on to the spark plugs etc., If there is any signs of corrosion, which may appear as white, or greenish blue dust. You may be able restore them for a while by cleaning this off with a with a wire brush, contact cleaner etc to improve the connection. But its probably best to replace affected parts .

The condition of your old spark plugs might also help with diagnosis, for instance if two are oily., or very sooty, or wet with petrol. Any doubts post a photo of all four plugs for opinions.

Comment

It won't run with the ECU unplugged I am afraid, but you could try unplugging the air flow meter - if that improves things, you probably need to replace it. Attempting to clean it can in fact kill it off, BUT if you think that it is faulty anyway, it is worth a try, as you wouldn't make it any worse.
        A faulty AFM will affect ALL cylinders.
        It could be that P0068 is an 'historical' fault that hasn't been cleared, so - rather than buy a new AFM on the strength of that, I would suggest that you first of all, clear that code - If it then returns, you can be sure that it is an AFM problem.
        Regards

Comment

Yes sorry, I meant to say unplug the air flow meter, not the ecu. whoops.

Comment

Hi all thanks for all the replys..
            I've unplugged the air flow meter and the car still ran the same dint get worse or better? .it's still running on 2 cylinders and got fault codes p0303 p0304 and p0068, I'd appreciate any advice or help in what part to buy and change first? ? Maf? Map? Coil pack? ?? Thanks in advance.

Comment

Swap the spark plugs and see if the code follows the spark plug. If it does, you know where the issue is.
              If it doesn't try a replacement Coil pack
              Like me...feed me likes!

Comment

Originally posted by walksall View Post
                It won't run with the ECU unplugged I am afraid, but you could try unplugging the air flow meter - if that improves things, you probably need to replace it. Attempting to clean it can in fact kill it off, BUT if you think that it is faulty anyway, it is worth a try, as you wouldn't make it any worse.
                A faulty AFM will affect ALL cylinders.
                It could be that P0068 is an 'historical' fault that hasn't been cleared, so - rather than buy a new AFM on the strength of that, I would suggest that you first of all, clear that code - If it then returns, you can be sure that it is an AFM problem.
                Regards
                I've cleared all faults and the same faults come back, I unplugged the maf and the car ran the same no difference, is fault code p0068 maf ? Or is it likely to be the coil pack? ....thanks in advance.

Comment

Try...Swapping...The...Plugs

It takes 10 minutes and you'll have a better idea...

Try to see if the missfire follows the spark #lipsmoker
                  Like me...feed me likes!

Comment

Hi mate thanks for the reply, I've just swopped the plugs around and cleared the fault and the all come back the same , it's misfiring on cylinders 1 2 3 and still the fault code p0068. Should I be ordering a maf mate? mabye coil pack? ...thanks again
                    Last edited by jt999; 28-06-2018, 02:23 PM. Reason: Removed text talk

Comment

Hi again all I've juts figured out that my girlfriends 1.2 corsa doesn't have a maf sensor it's got air pressure sensor instead, I've swapped the plugs around and unplugged the air temp sender and still running rough with the same faults coming back, p0300 p0303 p0304 and p0068, witch is maf sensure ,but it doesn't have a maf it's got air temp instead, im getting new air temp sender tomorrow then should I be looking at changing the coil pack or maby the Map sensor ? Any advice or help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Comment

I would say that whether it has a MAP or MAF, if the misfire is NOT on all cylinders, you need to be looking elsewhere. These things are not cheap (you CAN obtain cheap ones, but I would steer clear of them at all costs) genuine Vauxhall sensors (of all sorts) might be more expensive, but it is a real gamble to buy 'will fit' sensors.

MAP = Mass Air Flow - senses as its name implies
                        MAP = Manifold Absolute Pressure - it constantly measures that.
                        MAP and MAF are totally different animals and are NOT interchangeable.

If you can borrow a known GOOD coil pack, that might be the simplest way of checking it.
                        Regards

Comment

Yeah your Corsa doesn't have a AFM , it's got a ATM (air temp meter) it's not going to be any of the sensors because none of them will not only effect two cylinders.
                          change the plugs as someone as said. Then try swapping the coil pack with a known good one .
                          next thing you can check is remove the oil filler cap . Get someone to turn the engine over and see if the camshaft is turning, as the exhaust camshaft snapps on cylinders 3 and 4.

Comment

Swopping the plugs around has caused the problem to migrate in a way. You now have three cylinders affected ,not just two!

I'd of thought this points more to the plugs or coil pack than a problem with the camshaft, but i could be wrong.

Its not clear, have you now fitted 4 new plugs, or just swopped the old ones around? Fit new plugs. Even if it does not solve the problem they do need changing from time to time,something that is often excluded from servicing. I dont think expensive iridium plugs are necessary. Standard ones are ok, if a good quality brand. But others may have a different opinion. If these solve the problem you are laughing.
                            '
                            I still think the problem may be dirty contacts on the coil pack. Personally I would give a good squirt of contact/switch cleaner down each of the 'tubes', that connect to the spark plugs, and also on the male and female pins on the connector plug . Allow this to dry before fitting. If this works it diagnoses the source of the problem, but cleaning may only be a temporary fix.

Take a look at this video about testing the resistance on a coil pack. .

If these measures dont solve the problem, I would then consider replacing the coil pack (knowing plugs are now good) Substitution with a known good one is great if you can.

If that doesnt work, replace the ATM meter.

Dont change both the coilpack and airflow meter at the same time as you wont know which action worked. That way you could possibly sell the part you didnt really need as 'used, known good' and recoup some of the cost.(or return it for a refund)

If the AFM/ATM is working correctly the ECU will detect a mismatch between the reading its getting for the airflow, and what it expects to be getting at that throttle position . ( an engine thats running poorly due to a misfire etc, will need more throttle to achieve the same revs and therefore airflow) It will then give a P0068 fault. But once the cause of misfire is fixed, the ATM should be happy there is no longer a mismatch and work normally.

But if the AFM/ATM is faulty it may be giving an incorrect reading to the ecu. The ECU might then meter the engine wrongly, for instance too rich a mixture. In this case the flow meter is itself the source of the poor running.

A professional might know which it is and only need to replace one part but , labour costs ,and probably a higher price for the part he supplies, means it might be cheaper to buy one part, and then the second if necessary and do it yourself.

Problem is coil packs and flow meters are quite expensive for hopeful substitution on speculation. , but dont be tempted to buy a cheapo flow meter. better to pay extra for OEM quality.

Comment

Working...
                            X