Dreaded gear linkage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa C] Dreaded gear linkage

I do not seem to be able to engage reverse since fitting the new linkage, i managed to engage the gearbox lockout, despite having the pin mechanism missing! I then moved the selector until the lockout engaged using a screwdriver bit, (can it engage on any gears or only reverse), i now have a locked gearbox that will not unlock despite trying to put it into reverse, which is what i believe unlocks it, driving me mad this is.

Undo the link bar under the car and start again. Put the gearbox into 3rd gear with your hand working the linkage on top the gearbox then push in the small locking pin with spring , I normally wedge a piece of wood in the gap to stop it coming back out . Don't forget to remove it when you have finished . Next seat in the car and lift the gatior up on the gear stick and you will see a small hole 5mm on the left , line them up with a drill . You should now have the basis setting to reconnect the rod under the car. Remove piece of wood wiggle linkage and pin should spring back out . And remove drill from inside the car .

Comment

Thank you for the reply, problem is, the locking pin and spring was missing, i had to do a treble take before i realised what had happened, so i inserted a screwdriver bit in the hole that was left, wiggled the mechanism, bit went in, hey presto, gearbox locked, adjusted the linkage with the gear lever locked, but after tightening the rod clamp, i canít select ANY gears, it is almost as if the lockout pin has jammed, i understand that putting it in reverse unlocks it, not in my case, i fear it may be a case of dismantling the selector mechanism on the gearbox, but i fear that opening this up will be a chamber of horrors...

Comment

Ok did you lock the gear lever under the gaitor?
        removing the top of the gearbox unit is no drama just undo the four bolts and it pulls off .

Comment

Hi Restorer, yes i did lock the gearlever, and removed the lock too :-) but the answer about the four bolts is exactly what i needed, thank you, i will try it again later this week. I suspect the locking pin is stuck in, and needs manually releasing, annoyingly, until i know where to align the gears in the engine bay, i may need to engage it again to get the position right.

mick
          Last edited by Ticmick; 08-04-2018, 10:08 PM.

Comment

I have managed to release the locking pin by undoing the linkage selector bolts, and pushing the pin back out, unfortunately the head of the bolt that clamps the selector rod has now become mangled, so i canít do any more, time to get it to my local garage, first failure in all my years of working on Cars and Motorbikes :-(

Comment

But think off all the money you saved over the years doing things yourself. And professionals have more failures than they care to admit,even if its just having to ask for advice from other mechanics in the same workshop.

Comment

Sorry to hear you didn't get it fixed.
                I've had that problem many times, the linkage bolt and nut are made of some crap metal, when that's happened to me I've put a long bolt and nut with two washers and pinched it up like that . I've done many of these now and only when I've got everything working and in the right place do I do the pinch bolt up tight .
                don't feel bad, we've all made mistakes that's how you learn for the next time .

Comment

Bugman
                  Yeah, thank you, I have saved loads over the years, was just a little teed off when i posted...

I managed to change the Fork Oil Seals on my Aprilia motorcycle recently, but they are so much easier in terms of access.

Restorer
                  annoyingly i now think I have learn't a lot about this job, and if the bolt hadn't mangled, I may have sorted it, it won't of course put me off, if it taught me anything, it is to buy decent quality linkages.

Comment

Changed the fork seals many years when my bike failed its mot. When I took it back the tester said 'oh, you've actually replaced them !' I got the impression he was only expecting me to clean the excess oil off so he could pass them with a clear conscience. The good old days!

Comment

Working...
                    X