No announcement yet.

Crashed my car! Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa C 2000-2006] Crashed my car! Help!

So i was driving my Corsa C today and ended up rear ending a mazda that was turning right, i was travelling 9mph on impact according to my telematics box, its not too bad, the front bumper is dented slightly where the number plate is and number plate has come off. The bonnet has crumpled up slightly but apart from that nothing. Could possibly be some damage to the radiator but i very much doubt it, and they are fairly easy to replace. Just wondering how much it may cost to fix roughly?
    Also there is no superficial damage to the Mazda whatsoever, just the floor of the boot is dented, any idea how much that costs to fix?

Thanks,
    Aron

Personally i'd just go through insurance if i was you.
    If they decide they want a hire car whilst theirs is being repaired, or if they put in a personal injury claim it'll cost a lot more than the raise in premiums.
    They have up to 6 years to claim for personal injury in England & Wales IIRC
    That way (assuming you're fully comp) you pay your excess and both cars get sorted or wrote off depending on the damage. You can buy them back usually if not too serious though

We'd need to see pictures of the damage to give a rough estimate of repair costs to both.
    Corsa C parts you could check for someone breaking one in a scrap yard or online for the same parts

Comment

Comment

if boot floor is dented on mazda it's more than likely a write off

Comment

Yeah thats what i thought, however there is no way i could have caused that, since the mazda does not even have a crack in the back bumper.
          The mazda was already in the garage, so i have a funny feeling that the dent was already there. I have spoken to a few mechanics and they have agreed with me, saying i can't have damaged internal metal when there is no superficial damage outside.

Comment

Sorry mate.I'd go through the insurance. Self repair is ok if no one else was involved, but they were.Maybe hitting a parked car they might be happy about you paying for repairs. But you have a car thats a possible write off. And a driver who now, or sometime in the future may be tempted by a whiplash claim running into thousands. 9mph doesnt sound much but is actually a significant impact. Bumpers can distort a lot without damage but if it reaches metal panels its crunch time.Can you afford paying for an an independent engineers report saying it was old damage. Cars are sometimes built with 'just in time 'components that are date coded.If the rear bumper date appears to match the rest of the car you mightl have a hard time proving an earlier crash. And as they say verbal opinions are not worth the paper they are written on.
            They may be amicable at the moment but also have responsibilities to the car owner, their own insurers (car and employeee liability), and a driver who's mates will all be telling him he could be quids in. If the garage or car owners insurance company gets involved they will probably contact your insurer anyway. They have a database.
            Best its you that informs them.
            Last edited by Bugman; 18-02-2016, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Even if you didn't damage the boot floor, you'll have a hard time proving it, especially without the legal help of your insurance company.

Bumpers are plastic, designed for exactly what the name suggests... Bumping.
              They can be crushed in damaging the metal behind without showing any signs of damage.

Comment

Sorry to labour the point but it might help others as well.You might not believe you could have done the damage,and maybe you didnt.But consider Newtons law of kinetic energy. The impact increases by the square of your speed (velocity). At say 4.5 mph the impact might 'only' have been about 2000 jules. But at 9mph the increase is not , as you might think, to 4000 jules but to 8000 jules.

And it gets worse. At 18mph its 32000 jules, at 32 mph its a massive 128000 jules. A tonne of car at 4 meters per second (9mph )can do a lot of damage. Its why you need insurance and why speed needs to be taken seriously. But I'm the first to admit Newtons law is not the first one you think of when it comes to speed.

Edit. A few minutes after writing this I left my troll cave and went out. I saw a driving school car called 'Kinetic driving school'. Maybe they have to chant ' KE =1/2 mv squared' while driving. Amazing coincidence
                Last edited by Bugman; 22-02-2016, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Regardless if the damage might have been there before, i'd still go through insurance.

That way both cars get repaired and you just lose your excess but both cars get repaired or wrote off.

If he/she gets it repaired and wishes for a hire car you'd need to pay for that as well.
                  In a few years time if they decide they want to put in a personal injury claim you'd need to refer it to your insurance and you'd get the same hikes anyway and any money you would have spent fixing their / your car would have been wasted.

Comment

Working...
                  X