Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa B 1993-2000] Removing Rear Wiper Arm

Hi All,

I recently noticed that the rear wiper arm on my Corsa B is bent, so it doesn't sit properly and doesn't clear the window as well as it should. I managed to purchase a new replacement arm and attempted to fit it today, although unfortunately the I cannot get the old wiper arm off. I removed the cover (which was missing for some time - so it's probably rusted onto the bolt). The arm is meant to simply lift off of the bolt (according to the Haynes manual) although it will not budge at all.

The current wiper arm is stuck on like so:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-01-29 13.55.15.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	111629

I have tried copious amounts of WD40, a flat ended screwdriver to try and pry it off, and even trying to loosen it with a hammer, to no avail. I'm a bit worried to poke around in there too much because the seal (as you can see) is already a not-so-great condition and I dont want to make it any worse.

Any tips or tricks for trying to get this old one off?

Many Thanks,

Matt

Proper way would be to use a puller.

However, shocking it off should do
    The trick.
    Where the hinge is in the pic, I'd hit that with the hammer.

Wd40 is useless too.

Comment

As Vegas says the best way is a puller ,a special tool that hooks on the arm then pulls it off with great force using a threaded screw action.The bit you are trying to separate is splined,which adds to the resistance. Its possible you may have more success today if the penetrating fluid has had more time. Or try to contrive something that is bound or hooked on the arm but can be levered against the protruding thread. And try and loosen it a bit by a rocking motion .
      But recently when we had 60 cm of snow here in bulgaria it slid down the back window of my corsa D and took the arm off with it ! On the D there is a fail safe point at the hinge. The part of the shiny black component where it grips the hinge pin did not completely enclose it .A clip not a hole.I was able to simply clip the arm back on. I dont know if its the same on the B . If so you may be able to separate the matt black arm from the shiny bit and just replace that.
      Last edited by Bugman; 30-01-2016, 08:13 AM.

Comment

PlusGas is a good releasing agent. The next bit sounds contrary to common sense but try putting a socket (or any kind of tube) over the threaded part and tap the arm onto the shaft. Daft? No - what you're doing is just shocking loose the bond between the different metals of the arm and the spline. It only takes a tiny bit of movement to break the bond, then it's pull off easier. (Same trick as removing stuck brake discs, don't hammer them off, hammer then on - then they come off easier.)

Tap mean tap, not belt.
        1972 Viva restoration thread - http://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-b....html#post1534

Comment

Originally posted by Taurus View Post
          PlusGas is a good releasing agent. The next bit sounds contrary to common sense but try putting a socket (or any kind of tube) over the threaded part and tap the arm onto the shaft. Daft? No - what you're doing is just shocking loose the bond between the different metals of the arm and the spline. It only takes a tiny bit of movement to break the bond, then it's pull off easier. (Same trick as removing stuck brake discs, don't hammer them off, hammer then on - then they come off easier.)

Tap mean tap, not belt.
          I would have thought that would make things tighter as you pushed the wiper further onto the bolt. I'll have to try it .

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
          X