Which Tyres?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa B 1993-2000] Which Tyres?

I bought these 16" vectra alloys today and I'm looking for opinions on which tyres to get.

I live in a pretty rural place, there's a good few bumps and potholes, so I can't go for the profile I'd like.

What width and profile do you guys think?
    Wheel is 7 inches wide btw.
    Last edited by 12V_Neil; 13-05-2015, 03:52 PM.

You sure they're 7"?
    Most Vauxhall 15" wheels are 6" wide.

From your other thread, 185 would be massively stretched, as would 195.
    For a 7" wheel you'd be looking at around a 225 width tyre.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny View Post
      You sure they're 7"?
      Most Vauxhall 15" wheels are 6" wide.

From your other thread, 185 would be massively stretched, as would 195.
      For a 7" wheel you'd be looking at around a 225 width tyre.
      Yep defo 7"

Sorry for the crappy pic, but you get can see the size.
      Also just noticed they're 16's not 15's, will update my op.
      My friend told me they were 15's lol.
      Please help!

Comment

Hi
        You are measuring the width incorrectly. You measure from internal bead to bead, not the overall width. see this short video.
        yours are probably 6". I think you will need 40 profile tyres. The exact size may depend on width. I know 40 profile may cause problems with pot holes but you dont have much choice. Increasing the profile also increases rolling diameter which can have adverse affect on car performance, clearances and speedometer accuracy.They may not even fit on the car. There are many web sites that allow you to compare two tyre/wheel combinations (ie original vs proposed) to see what is acceptable
        Last edited by Bugman; 13-05-2015, 12:07 PM.

Comment

I used 195/40/16s on my BBS wheels, 16x7J. Looked and felt fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Bugman View Post
            Hi
            You are measuring the width incorrectly. You measure from internal bead to bead, not the overall width. see this short video.
            yours are probably 6". I think you will need 40 profile tyres. The exact size may depend on width. I know 40 profile may cause problems with pot holes but you dont have much choice. Increasing the profile also increases rolling diameter which can have adverse affect on car performance, clearances and speedometer accuracy.They may not even fit on the car. There are many web sites that allow you to compare two tyre/wheel combinations (ie original vs proposed) to see what is acceptable
            Wow, thanks for that. It's 6 inches wide from the internal bead to bead.
            What width tyre would you recommend?

Anybody know if my are wheels 6j or 7j?

Comment

6j. 195 as I said. 40 profile as Sam said.

Comment

I'm not sure 40 would be usable on my roads, any idea if I could go any higher without rubbing?

Comment

Which Tyres?

Doubt it. Even if it wouldn't rub, it'd look crap and your speedo would be wrong.

You need to get some 15" wheels if you don't want low profile tyres.

40 profile won't be that bad at all, especially on standard suspension.

Comment

Dont get me started on potholes! Its better not to rely on a bit of extra tyre profile to save you from pothole damage.Remember impact energy increases with the square of speed. If you drive through a pothole at 4mph instead of 2 mph you dont just have twice the impact you have 4 times the impact.Thats why 4x4's get damaged so easily, drivers assume they are 'good' with potholes and drive much too fast.You could get in the same mind-set with your higher profile ireland friendly tyres.Its a law of physics thats soon uses up a few mm of profile advantage.

As with all self defence the best defence is to not to be there in the first place.In other words try to spot and avoid a pothole just as surely as if it were a child in the road. If your roads have lots of potholes then at least they should not take you by surprise! If they cannot be avoided drive very slowly.
                    Some more tips I have learned the hard way. If you are following another car look out for the potholes before he reaches them, not when they suddenly appear from under his car. Keep well back from large trucks, you cant see through them and they often ignore potholes that you cannot. Rain filled potholes may be much deeper than they look, be extra careful at night, and even if you are familiar with that road potholes can suddenly appear or get worse.

I really wouldnt go above 40 profile. You could spend a fortune on tyres only to find the wheels wont fit on the car, or the car is undriveable.
                    Last edited by Bugman; 14-05-2015, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Well I'm an idiot lol.
                      I was measuring the diameter wrong too!
                      They are 15x6, what tyres then?

Comment

195/50 15

Comment

Working...
                        X