clear coat paint damage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clear coat paint damage

After 10 years under a Bulgarian sun (temps can go over 40 C) my car now has damage to the paint on its roof. It only started last year as signs of slight blooming, but has spread and got worse quite rapidly.

The obvious answer is to get the roof resprayed professionally, which should be relatively cheap in Bulgaria But I am also conscious that when I come to sell the car many buyers with enough money will rather spend it on something more luxurious but a few years older. Such damage is very common here and I might do better saving the cost of cosmetic body repairs and selling the car cheaper. ​​​​​​ I could just leave it as it is (with maybe a waft over with clearcoat for a bit of weather protection) . Shock horror, I'm not too bothered about leaving as it is The car is a working tool in a rural location, not a show car.

or should I do it myself. I do have some experience of car spraying, including some complete resprays But I no longer have a compressor and would need to do it with rattle cans. Problem is its quite a weird metallic colour that changes colour quite significantly depending on the light. (paint code Z40W) Its described in the logbook as brown, but in most lights most people would call it grey.But it does take on a brownish tint in some lights and in full sun it can be sort of bronze or gold. In german the colour is called Muskat grau (nutmeg grey) which describes it perfectly .My wife now calls the car Meg. English marketing people called it pepperdust . i think they must be away with the fairies. Better than 'pepper spray' , or 'estuary mud' I suppose. Whats wrong with nutmeg.

i am worried that like some metallic sprays i have used in the past , the colour tone can vary depending on which direction you spray it from (ieif the metallic elements are laid down differently from the factory finish)

Anyone used a rattle can in this colour?

Another possibility is seeing if I can remove the clearcoat without damaging the base colour coat (I think its undamaged at present) I believe it is possible but you have to be extremely careful with rubbing down. Much more so than just flattening down for a new colour coat. Not sure I would have the patience . . Anyone any experience of this?

I have seen on line, mainly on american sites, memories of some sort of stripper/solvent that can remove a clearcoat without damaging the basecoat. Most people, myself including me, are sceptcal that this would be possible,or would be very risky. But I suppose if the clearcoat were peeling off in sheets (which can happen, although mine is not) some sort of solvent might soften and loosen it enough that it can be peeled off before it also strips the base coat. Anyone any knowledge or experience of such a product, available today in the uk?

The car is hot enough to fry an egg at present (maybe that what I have been doing wrong) so its unlikely i would be doing anything til next spring at the earlest. So thoughts and ideas folks

I cant make my mind up. (I used to be indecisive, now i'm not so sure) I'll try and add a couple of photos later.

Click image for larger version  Name:	corsa roof 1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	208.8 KB ID:	125355 Here are some photos. Click image for larger version  Name:	corsa roof 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	108.8 KB ID:	125354

You can just see what I mean about the colour change in the first photo. The roof looks grey,while above the doors, where the light falls from a different direction, its appears more brownish. Even though both are identical original factory finish .
    Last edited by Bugman; 24-08-2020, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Well you could flatten it back and have the roof wrapped in a union jack. (Wendy Craig, love is like a butterfly, style) sorry. I think you are going to struggle with a rattle can, because its such a big area. Couldn't you hire a compressor. Thinking about it though you would have to mask the whole car

Comment

I've never tried such a big area with rattle cans,You are probably right, even if it were just clear coat it would probably look awful.

Wrapping is a good idea, assuming it can stand the heat. Maybe a Bulgarian flag would go down better here than a butterflies union jack! Carbon fibre pattern might look quite good. The rubber lip above the windscreen and the roof side rails lends itself to wrapping. I could try out a few options using photoshop to see how it might look. There is a precedent. The paintwork on my first car (a Ford Anglia 105E) was extensively 'enhanced' using large decals of Donald duck and Minnie Mouse. Do you remember those thick faux leather vinyl roof kits, complete with stitched seams, that you glued on with impact adhesive? And DIY sun roofs.

Unfortunately I sold my sprayguns (and DA sander) with the compressor. By the time I have hired all the kit,bought paint, thinners, etc it would probably be cheaper to have it sprayed professionally. I do still have an electric spray gun , but I havnt used it in years and i doubt it would do a better job than rattle cans.

I've put it on as a chat discussion more than anything. I'll probably end up getting it professionally sprayed . Or weigh up the cost of repair vs selling the car cheaper . No point in making the car perfect if nobody can afford to buy it.

Comment

I do remember the vinyl roof kits . I fitted one to a Mk3 Cortina once and it looked really good, if I must say myself. Was never brave enough for the DIY sunroof kits ,but had one fitted to a Mk 1 capri G Reg . Wish I still had it now .

Comment

The strange thing is the speed the damage spread. Nothing for 9 years, then problems over the course of a year/18 months. And although its almost all confined to that one central panel there is also a small patch on the roofline area of the tailgate, which is a completely different panel, so It cant have spread entirely under the surface.

I'm now thinking it might have been caused by chemical spray. A quick look on line shows that the insecticide sprayed by Helicopter in New York can damage car paint. The obvious candidate is a neighbour who is a bit of a market gardener, but i'd never be able to prove it or get compensation and dont really want to get into a dispute over it.
            Particularly as we have occasionally used sprays ourselves , and cant prove we never went into town while the local council were spraying the parks for ticks.

Maybe i will be able to use insecticide as a targeted lacquer stripper I think I need to start using a car cover. And give a lot more attention to keeping the car clean and protecting the paint with surface sealants etc.

Comment

Working...
            X