Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa D] Boot handle fallen off and faded black paint on bonnet

Morning all

New here so hope this is the right place to ask, if not please point me in the right direction!

I'm looking to buy a 2010 1.3 cdti ecoflex corsa. I believe it to be a good price, but it has 2 advertised issues with it, and wondered if these were known faults, and rough price to fix?

1. Boot handle plastic has 'fallen off' - I haven't viewed the car yet, but the owner has stated the boot still works fine. Is this just a clip on piece, or will the boot door need replacing?

2. The colour of the car is black, but for some reason the bonnet (and the bonnet only) has faded and now looks matt black. Could this be an engine fault, or again is this common? What would the rough price of a respray be?

Thanks in advance

Hi Welcome to the forum

I think there have been one or two fairly recent posts about damaged boot trim . I have done a quick search but cant find them. I think replacements are available but come in bare grey primer that needs to be sprayed in body colour. So if you go ahead maybe get it sprayed at the same time as the bonnet. Although being black you may be able to spray it yourself with a reasonable colour match. I cant recall what the part costs . I think its the normal case of it being a comparatively silly price if you buy from a main dealer as a retail buyer , but not too bad if you shop around on line . You could try AutoVaux who sell Genuine GM parts at a reduced price. It may be worth checking the price before looking at the car. You have to wonder why the seller didnt replace it themselves.

If the whole bonnet has faded differently to the rest of the car it suggests the bonnet has been resprayed at some point . There may be a legitimate reason for this . My own 2010 car has quite a few chips on the front of the bonnet and it could do with a respray. (I think it may have been bombarded at some point in the past by stone chippings or some sort of solvent such as tar from roadworks. ) My car also has a small area on the roof where the paint has deteriorated under the clear coat.Only visible in some lighting conditions. If this occurred on the bonnet a previous owner might have got it resprayed.

But it could also mean the car has had some frontal damage. This is not necessarily a deal breaker if its been repaired properly (the paint job aside) . But it might be an idea to get an HPI check done to see if the car has been registered as a category 3 write off. And to look carefully for signs of frontal damage or repairs beyond just looking at the faded bonnet.

Again this may not be a deal breaker if the price is right , except it can also affect the value when you come to sell the car. Insurance companies 'write off ' cars if the cost to the highest standard with new parts exceeds the value of the car. An older car might be written off with nothing more than a dented door (or bonnet) or a slightly crumpled wing. Which someone else is able to repair cheaply and easily using used panels.

Sorry i dont know what a bonnet respray might cost. But body shops are more likely to give a competitive quote knowing that you are not in urgent or desperate need and can walk (drive) away. Its also a quantifiable job so they might be able to give a rough and provisional estimate on the phone. Offering to pay cash might help too. Shop around for quotes. Some workshops have plenty of work from insurance companies (especially if the roads have been slippery) and will quote high on small jobs they dont really want.
    Last edited by Bugman; 02-01-2020, 10:35 AM. Reason: I put PPI check instead of HPI check !!

Comment

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. Car seems a great price, at £1350, with 120k miles on the clock...a little too good to be true I'm fearing.

The 2 faults aside - when I go to view it, is there anything in particular I should be looking out for?

Comment

You could write a book on what to look for when buying a used car. I cant comment on price. It seems to be about what the trade would give for the car in part exchange. But the 2 issues would lower the value a bit . Also price may be a bit lower because although 120k miles is probably about average for a 10 year old car, its not exactly low mileage. Modern turbo diesels dont last forever like old time diesels. As with all older cars the cost of future significant repairs can easily exceed its value.

Have a plan of what to ask and what to check. Have a check list if necessary. Take someone with you , even if they know nothing about cars (or better still someone who does). They will be an additional witness of what is said, might notice things you do not , and might temper your enthusiasm with sensible comments about potential pitfalls.
        And remember take the '6 honest serving men' in the Poem by Kipling. Their names are ' What and why and When and |How ,and where and who" Use these to ask lots of awkward questions. "why are you selling" When was it last serviced "who serviced it . "why didnt you repair it yourself" etc etc. Personally i find it as important to judge the seller as much as I judge the car. Is he (or she, )really a dealer pretending to be a private seller, when in reality he is flogging a dog he picked up very cheap at auction. They will often give answers that are too slick (I've just bought it but my wife doesnt like the colour' I'm selling it for my granny' etc. ) Honest folk might also have rehearsed answers,but sometimes blurt out the truth Personally i'd rather have a less satisfactory explanation thats the truth than a good one thats a lie. For instance You might consider 'They offered me silly money in part exchange' or I'd rather sell it cheaper rather than spend time and money messing around ' acceptable answers.

Check stuff like the electric windows work, and the aircon works , Try not to view it in the dark or rain which can hide other body defects. (The bonnet and trim might divert you from other issues.) When you first arrive put your hand on the bonnet to see if the car has been warmed up already so it starts and sounds better. (Might be unavoidable but something to bear in mind when assessing how well it runs) The 1.3cdt is not the quietest diesel on the market. There may be some diesel 'clatter on tickover but beware of any excessive smoke from the exhaust after the first few seconds or unexpectly rough or noisy running. Check the oil on the dipstick to see if its got any white deposits (looks like mayonnaise) . Dont worry too much if the oil is black (Diesels tend to do this quite quickly , but beware if it looks old and gritty. ) Take into account that if a car needs new tyres, a new battery etc this can make it less of a bargain but might allow for more haggling on price. Dont let shiney tyres and recently cleaned engine bay influence you too much. Above all,if things dont feel right with the seller or car trust your instincts and walk away. (unless you are really sure its acceptable for the price.)

Comment

Thank you so much for the advice bugman! Very much appreciated

Comment

Working...
          X