Preparing for painting how to...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preparing for painting how to...

Hi all. Im really new in this group,I apologize if smtn.is wrong and not how should be... But i really need your help!
    So my cars paint work needs to be fixed. But im confused... Should i just spray paint and clearcoat over this (refer to picture) which is easy or i should sand all that patch to bare metal where damage is and faded paint,then use filler,sand it,primer,paint and clear coat?! Thanks in advance

Hi welcome to the forum

It looks like you have what is known as 'orange peel'. ie the paint finish is dimpled like orange peel. There are various possible causes of this . Paint applied too thick, or with the wrong thinners that evaporated too quickly., the wrong air pressure on the paint gun, poor spraying technique etc. Google orange peel in spraying for more details and remedies.

If you just spray over with fresh coats of paint and clear coat you will just end up with freshly painted orange peel ! Spraying ordinary colour and laquer does not cover imperfections. It makes them look worse, however many coats you apply.
    It might be possible to laboriously rub down the 'orange peel' until the high points blend perfectly with the low points then respray that. It will be a lot of work, and the finish must be perfectly smooth as the slightest imperfection will show .

Another possibility is to use spray filler. This is like an extra thick paint that might fill some of the low points , slight swirls marks etc. . But you rub most of it off again before respraying with colour and clear coat. It can make getting a smooth finish a bit easier and might avoid the need to strip the panel down to bare metal (which will then need special etch priming coats etc) But it can bring its own problems if applied too thickly,or you dont wait for it to dry thoroughly between coats. If its too cold it may take longer to dry, if the weather is too hot it might dry too quickly and wrinkle etc.

But its quite a few years since I did any bodywork or spraying. . There may now be alternative products, such as a thin filler paste that can be skimmed over the surface using a spreader,then rubbed down until only the low points are left filled, leaving a smooth surface.

Bottom line is a decent spray paint finish is a highly skilled job . There is a lot to learn, and it takes practice .
    Last edited by Bugman; 01-04-2019, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bugman View Post
      Hi welcome to the forum

It looks like you have what is known as 'orange peel'. ie the paint finish is dimpled like orange peel. There are various possible causes of this . Paint applied too thick, or with the wrong thinners that evaporated too quickly., the wrong air pressure on the paint gun, poor spraying technique etc. Google orange peel in spraying for more details and remedies.

If you just spray over with fresh coats of paint and clear coat you will just end up with freshly painted orange peel ! Spraying ordinary colour and laquer does not cover imperfections. It makes them look worse, however many coats you apply.
      It might be possible to laboriously rub down the 'orange peel' until the high points blend perfectly with the low points then respray that. It will be a lot of work, and the finish must be perfectly smooth as the slightest imperfection will show .

Another possibility is to use spray filler. This is like an extra thick paint that might fill some of the low points , slight swirls marks etc. . But you rub most of it off again before respraying with colour and clear coat. It can make getting a smooth finish a bit easier and might avoid the need to strip the panel down to bare metal (which will then need special etch priming coats etc) But it can bring its own problems if applied too thickly,or you dont wait for it to dry thoroughly between coats. If its too cold it may take longer to dry, if the weather is too hot it might dry too quickly and wrinkle etc.

Bottom line is a decent spray paint finish is a highly skilled job . There is a lot to learn, and it takes practice .
      Thanks for the answer and welcoming. Well its not orange peel i guess. As i did it myself... With angle grinder and polishing pad! It looks like it burned the paint or clear coat and white place took everything out. Well i ordered everything and guess i will try and sand everything off and do it properly. Watched loads of youtube videos. The only problem is car shape lines.Damage is exactly on the angle
      So in short should i sand it all down to bare metal?! And do it properly from scratch?!

Comment

Sorry, its difficult to tell from a photo. There does appear to be some orange peel effect, but digital photos can make things look worse than they really are and it may be normal. And I've only just noticed the localised damage ! I obviously didnt read your post properly.
        Angle grinders run too fast for bodywork, either for polishing or paint /filler preparation. They can very rapidly burn or remove paint, especially over swage lines. Professionals usually use dual action sanders that run slower and have a kind of reciprocating dual action rotation that does not concentrate in one place to reduce the chances of damage.

If the paintwork is original I would say avoid going down to bare metal if at all possible. Bare metal needs a special etch primer which contains acid. It the improvement in primers that means cars no longer rust as badly as they once did. But if there are signs of burning and bubbling of the paint/clear coat you may need to remove all the paint in that particular area .and build it up again with primer and filler if necessary.

I'd rub down the entire panel by hand. Spread the pressure as much as possible using a sanding block rather than your bare hand, taking special care not to remove too much paint along the swage lines. . It can sometimes help to spray the entire panel with a temporary thin waft of grey or white primer to act as a guide coat. You then aim to remove the entire guide coat of primer, plus just a bit more. This may sound like a lot of extra work but can help you judge when you have done it properly,and highlight any depressions etc. You need to make sure you have removed all traces of polish etc as wax and especially silicon can cause major problems when painting. I always used to judge smoothness with my fingertips rather than trying to do it visually. But even normal oil from your skin can cause contamination, so its a good idea to use a spirit solvent wipe to remove any contaminants and dust before painting.

Good luck with getting a good colour match. Metallic colours can be a real pain, as even the direction you spray from can affect the way the metallic flakes in the paint are laid down which can affect the colour.

Comment

Hi welcome to the forum

But its quite a few years since I did any bodywork or spraying. . There may now be alternative products, such as a thin filler paste that can be skimmed over the surface using a spreader,then rubbed down until only the low points are left filled, leaving a smooth surface.

Mate thanks a lot for your time and support. I will try do as you suggested. I know picture is bad. But just took it for idea what im dealing with! I will try to sand down paint from to affected area use primer,sand it down,paint it and clear coat and see how it goes. It can't be worst than it is i guess. I will keep updated if anyone interested the most challenging will be that im doing that on the street!

Comment

The main challenge is finding the right day. Not too hot, or too cold, or too windy or too humid,or too dusty, or too many flying insects. And resisting the temptation to apply it too thickly, or applying the next coat before it has dried properly.

Comment

The main challenge is finding the right day. Not too hot, or too cold, or too windy or too humid,or too dusty, or too many flying insects. And resisting the temptation to apply it too thickly, or applying the next coat before it has dried properly.
              Cheers for that mate! Kept that in mind!

Comment

Working...
              X