Heater control spare button

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Corsa D] Heater control spare button

The spare button in the heater control panel is blank and Iím wondering if there is anyway you can possibly wire something up to it so you can use the button to turn it on and off from the drivers seat. Is it even possible to re use the blank space?

Hi Welcome to the forum

I assume you mean the switch that is normally used for air conditioning . On cars with aircon there are actually two switches there, air con and recirculation. You might think that by obtaining a switch from an air conditioned car you would now have two switches available for other purposes. But I dont think it would work.

Having looked at a video ,removing that 3 dial panel to access the rear is quite difficult . You have to remove the radio and there appears to be printed circuit boards etc behind the dials . Its not a good idea messing with wiring, especially on cars with computer controlled canbus electrics. A lot of work and it might not be possible to wire it up for alternative purposes. And its quite likely the switch would not be able to carry enough amps to run /isolate the heater fan .

And i'm not sure why you would want to.

. The proper control is multi speed and uses a sophisticated rheostat to vary speed. If your idea is to by-pass a faulty rotary switch , or rheostat I think it would be far better to do the job properly and repair /replace them. There are 'how to' videos for both procedures on you tube. I think you are more likely to find the complete dials module for sale than just a single switch .
    Last edited by Bugman; 11-02-2019, 08:10 AM.

Comment

The reason for wanting to use the spare switch is to use it to turn my amplifier on and off rather than it just being used by the ignition all the time, for when I donít want to have it on

Comment

Originally posted by Joeforrest View Post
        The reason for wanting to use the spare switch is to use it to turn my amplifier on and off rather than it just being used by the ignition all the time, for when I donít want to have it on
        Yes, you could do that. You'd be better off getting a generic switch button though and drilling into the blanking plate, then do the wiring that way
        Last edited by Michael; 11-02-2019, 01:58 PM.
        Like me...feed me likes!

Comment

What am I best to search for on eBay to buy for me to possibly to be able to do this

Comment

What am I best to search for on eBay to buy for me to possibly to be able to do this
            Do you want it to look OEM? If so can you post a pic of where you want the button? I'd bet we can find something that looks right
            TheCorsa's friendly predator

I like my women like I like my laptop. Thin, virus free and on my lap

Comment

Here you go

Comment

Ah , so its the amplifier , not the heater. Which changes things somewhat. But dont drill through without removing the panel and checking the back. .I'm pretty sure there is stuff behind it you wont want to damage.

Be careful of having it not controlled by the ignition. Amps and things can consume power ,especially if you forget to turn it off . (You might have been playing something quiet?) And may cause parasitic battery drain even when its off . Maybe enough to cause a flat battery.

Comment

Is there anyway possible to still have it wired to the ignition but have it wired to a switch aswell

Comment

Is there anyway possible to still have it wired to the ignition but have it wired to a switch aswell
                    Usually an amp is wired to the stereo remote (the thin power cable, usually attached to the RCA cables) so it knows when to turn on/off (it'll use a tiny bit of power when it's off, but this is normal). My suggestion here would be to have the switch inline on this remote wire, so it won't cut power to the amp (you'd struggle to put a switch in the actual power feed anyway, the wires are usually very thick).

With this setup, the amp will turn on/off with the stereo (when the switch is on), and will turn off when the switch is turned off. Just be aware that you aren't cutting power, so be careful not to forget when working on it and blow something up - I did that once and the amp was killed

I didn't have any luck finding a switch for you, hopefully someone else does, I'll try looking further tomorrow.

Out of interest, what will you be running? I miss my old sub/amp

Not sure why video isn't working for me, so here is a link

I have terrible hearing now
                    Last edited by jt999; 11-02-2019, 08:44 PM.
                    TheCorsa's friendly predator

I like my women like I like my laptop. Thin, virus free and on my lap

Comment

Working...
                    X